587,267 active members*
4,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > New User to Bobcad-Cam v26

New User to Bobcad-Cam v26

Just bought bobcad v26 mill pro. Had a very nice chat with Mark, and was able to get everything I wanted for a very reasonable price. I have been lurking in the shadows on here for a while, and have read almost every post relating to bobcad-cam. I see a lot of negative things being said about their sales department. I cannot for the life of me understand why, pushy means they are willing to negotiate on price. There are very few companies left out there that will even think to budge on price more than 50 dollars.

I have been trying to get a cam package for 6 months, for a reasonable price. I couldn't get mecsoft to budge, onecnc never responded, mastercam is out of this world for a little guy. Bobcad-cam seems to be the exception.

All things considered, I am looking forward to learning how to cam - the bob way.

Donny

I have had my v26 for a little over a month and still don't have a clue how to actually mill a part with it. their tech support is not nearly as good as their sales people. it would be nice if they had a cnc programmer working there not a bunch of computer programers. if anyone has this software and would like to lend a hand please call me at 607 724 9999 ext 102

If you are getting started with BobCAD and you need some help I would recommend checking out my youtube page.

Depoalo - YouTube
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Quote Originally Posted by gp8787 View Post
    I have had my v26 for a little over a month and still don't have a clue how to actually mill a part with it. their tech support is not nearly as good as their sales people. it would be nice if they had a cnc programmer working there not a bunch of computer programers. if anyone has this software and would like to lend a hand please call me at 607 724 9999 ext 102
    Start by watching Al's videos, which are great! Otherwise, it works better if you just ask a specific question here in the forum and post a .bbcd file that you are having problems figuring out. People here are always happy to help, but that's the best way. Getting on the phone and trying to help that way will probably just be confusing for both parties. In the forum, we can see your file, change it and document the way it was changed so you can learn from that. It's also pretty easy to post a video showing you the steps you need if it's a specific task.

gp I did call you today... the voice mail said something about tech support so I didn't leave a message. I did set a call back in my crm and look forward to when we connect.

that said I agree, post a file tell us what.you are doing and we will all help you....

Quote Originally Posted by gp8787 View Post
    Al's After Dark video tutorials are excellent -

CAD/CAM Videos | CAD/CAM Tutorials | BobCAD AfterDark

Watch them all a few times and things will often pop into your head while you're pondering a problem, most of the V25 stuff will still be relevant.
    If you didn't buy the Video Professor tutorial DVDs they are worth having, especially as you won't have to pay international postage, I'm still watching mine and constantly picking up tips.
    Regards,
    Nick

GP I just missed your call. I left a message this time...
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Quote Originally Posted by automatikdonn View Post
    .....I see a lot of negative things being said about their sales department. I cannot for the life of me understand why, pushy means they are willing to negotiate on price. There are very few companies left out there that will even think to budge on price more than 50 dollars.

All things considered, I am looking forward to learning how to cam - the bob way.

Donny
    I don't extend this theory to software as it is a little different but just for some friendly perspective - if I call someone up to quote their work and I give them a price, that's it. If next week I'm a little slow and I call them up and say I'm hurting for work so I'll do it for 30%-50% less, what does that say about the initial price I gave them? You got it, I'm just out there casting lines and hoping to get a bite. That strategy just doesn't work in this industry and probably explains a lot of the negativity. Who wants to waste their time haggling when there are a dozen machine shops to choose from? I know the companies I'm quoting for are sending the exact same part to minimum 5 shops. If they want the lower price, let them go at it. If I do win their work but they continue to send the same part back to me for a re-quote everytime I do the job, I eventually start sending them back "NO QUOTE"s.

My prices do not include hiring a guy who has nothing to do all day but quote stuff. A quick way to get your RFQ sent to the "Trash" folder is to CC your email with my name and 10 other shops in it. The reason this works for me is because we are that good and I feel no shame in saying it. Is Mecsoft and CNC Software that good? I don't know because I'm loyal to BobCAD as long as they keep giving me good product at what I feel is a fair price. Again, I would suspect this is where the agony comes from when dealing with BobCAD sales. The guy on the other end is just casting lines. Some people don't mind the back and forth of it all because it works for them. As far as vendors go, I have to keep a closer eye on material suppliers and tool manufacturers where the prices fluctuate somewhat wildly. The last thing I want to do is go back and forth for 3 weeks over software that I buy once a year.

I've only seriously evaluated other software one time but I made it pretty clear to my sales guy that price wasn't the object, I needed more capability. A few months later, V25 was released with Adaptive Roughing and Stock Wizard/Recognition and I pulled the trigger the same week. I just bought V26 so I could get a "deal" on an upgrade to full simulation (and it seemed silly upgrading a now unsupported version). I hope it was worth my meager budget and I'm glad I don't have anyone to answer to on that question. I just have to keep making parts with it.

I have had it for three days... never touched anything other than a trial of alibre cam... and I already have usable tool paths to get started. Can you please explain what issues you are having. I'm sure I will be of little help, but the members on the forum here are great. I have asked three questions, and all were answered in under 25 minutes. I'm not too prideful, and will put my lack of knowledge out for the whole world to see if it gets me an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    I don't extend this theory to software as it is a little different but just for some friendly perspective - if I call someone up to quote their work and I give them a price, that's it. If next week I'm a little slow and I call them up and say I'm hurting for work so I'll do it for 30%-50% less, what does that say about the initial price I gave them? You got it, I'm just out there casting lines and hoping to get a bite. That strategy just doesn't work in this industry and probably explains a lot of the negativity. Who wants to waste their time haggling when there are a dozen machine shops to choose from? I know the companies I'm quoting for are sending the exact same part to minimum 5 shops. If they want the lower price, let them go at it. If I do win their work but they continue to send the same part back to me for a re-quote everytime I do the job, I eventually start sending them back "NO QUOTE"s.

My prices do not include hiring a guy who has nothing to do all day but quote stuff. A quick way to get your RFQ sent to the "Trash" folder is to CC your email with my name and 10 other shops in it. The reason this works for me is because we are that good and I feel no shame in saying it. Is Mecsoft and CNC Software that good? I don't know because I'm loyal to BobCAD as long as they keep giving me good product at what I feel is a fair price. Again, I would suspect this is where the agony comes from when dealing with BobCAD sales. The guy on the other end is just casting lines. Some people don't mind the back and forth of it all because it works for them. As far as vendors go, I have to keep a closer eye on material suppliers and tool manufacturers where the prices fluctuate somewhat wildly. The last thing I want to do is go back and forth for 3 weeks over software that I buy once a year.

I've only seriously evaluated other software one time but I made it pretty clear to my sales guy that price wasn't the object, I needed more capability. A few months later, V25 was released with Adaptive Roughing and Stock Wizard/Recognition and I pulled the trigger the same week. I just bought V26 so I could get a "deal" on an upgrade to full simulation (and it seemed silly upgrading a now unsupported version). I hope it was worth my meager budget and I'm glad I don't have anyone to answer to on that question. I just have to keep making parts with it.
    I disagree on almost every front. I asked for bottom dollar in my initial request, and that was what I got. I see nothing wrong with fishing, as that is what a business is suppose to do. The price is the price is a *recent* trend in America. When the price is the price, and everyone goes up at the same time (cough **gas prices**) the consumer suffers. This type of thinking doesn't breed competition, and that is what keeps prices down. I don't mind haggling, because I am just starting my business and I am poor. To each his own