I was actually more interested in the performance of the motor over pictures of its appearance. Do you have video of it working on the machine putting it through its paces? I know you mentioned indexing and rigid tapping being in your list of criteria. I thought that was very interesting. If you do have video I would be interested in seeing it, however I get the impression you may have interpreted my reply as offensive which it was not meant to be that way. I think it is great that you built your own motor and have done so much research and testing, inspiring really. I agree with you, I have gone through many motors in an attempt to find a good solution so I truly understand where your motivation comes from.

I have tried treadmill motors (destroyed brushes and arced in short order).

I went through two stock motors that both burned up and didn't supply the rpm range I was looking for anyway.

I currently have a Chinese 2.2kw BLDC and driver. Admittedly it is better than anything I have used to date but it still has its issues. I can tell it is no where near its advertised power rating. It's failure to maintain speed/torque from no load to cutting load is very undesirable.

I did a full demonstration of it going through all normal operations I would likely use and you can hear it's recovery issues with a .201" drill bit in a mills peck cycle.

First video of 5 here:

G0704 2200w BLDC, Z axis stepper mount, part 1 - YouTube

So in my research for other alternatives I ran across your thread. I am just curious of the actual performance of the motor you built for comparison purposes. I don't know if building one would even be in my wheel house or not, a bit intimidating as I have never done it before, but I am curious all the same.

If you do have video it would be very much appreciated and if not and you feel it is to much of a PITA, then I understand.

Thanks,

Chris