587,558 active members*
3,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

software question

Im thinking of building a 4 axis foam cutting machine to do tapered wings. I have bobcad 20.7 and mach3, can you use this setup.

If anybody uses these types of software to run their machines I have a few questions if you dont mind answering.

Bobwire

If you plan on doing 4axis for foam cutting you will want to use mach and bobwire v19 not bobcad v20 when you are ready just call bobcad and order the wire package make sure you get v19 wire not v22 wire as this one will work better for foam cutting v22 wire is for wire edm.

You will be able to use v20 but only for 2axis or angled cutting not 4 axis.

If you want to mill a wing - you could use Mach and your bobcad - if you want a hotwire thats different.

For cutting foam wings (with a hotwire):
    excelcut runs on Excel2003. -- and its free! Seems to work with Office2007 ( search the cnczone)
    Profil2 looks interesting - but somewhat complicated the lite version is free (Google)
    GMFC is a french hotwire software http://gm.cnc.free.fr/en/index.html a free varriant and some neat examples.

I haven't cut anything with my foam wire cutter - a bit later project - so I can't really comment on a better - or best version other than above.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Thanks for the help guys! Didnt realize that the v19 would work. Guess, now I will have to download the demo and see what its like and if its worth the $$.

Really right now just checking into what all I need to complete and $$$pend on a 4axis foam cutter before I get started on it.