587,143 active members*
4,827 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Surface finish engraving with drill point end mill

Surface finish engraving with drill point end mill

Hi, I was curious as to what I can do to fix my surface finish issues. I am engraving some text, following the outline of the letters with a 90* .375" drill point end mill. I am cutting a .050" deep. What I am noticing is that the groves I am cutting, the surface finish is far better on the conventional side and worse on the climb side. I end up with a much rougher finish. I am cutting 6061 t651 and am just manually spraying some cutting fluid using a CNC knee mill.

Is it a speeds and feed issue? I tried varying speeds and feeds, but with similar results. Chip recutting in the trough on the climb side? Looking for any and all ideas on things to do to fix my surface finish.

Thanks much
    Brian

Re: Surface finish engraving with drill point end mill

i hate using 45 degree for engraving. i use a runner cutter. it is the only tool i use for engraving. alum or steel. its a harvey tool. i engrave wheels, axle housings all kinds of stuff and would not use anythng else.
    if you stick with your 45, you will have to climb cut the line on both sides, doubleing your tool path.