587,577 active members*
3,216 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Proposed router design. comments please

Proposed router design. comments please

Hi I have wanted to build a router table for quite a while now and thanks to this forum I think I have a good chance of doing it.

I recently ordered ballscrews, rails, mounts and linear bearings from ebay so I guess I've got to get started.

Here is a couple of pictures of the proposed design.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1242593418

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1242593458

The base and gantry will be welded steel. The z axis mount and router bracket will probably be aluminium although I may try mdf as a prototype.

The machine will have x axis travel of 600mm, y axis travel of 490mm and z axis travel of 170mm if I stick to this design.

I have tried to keep the design as compact as possible to reduce moments on the gantry.

Could you guys please have a look and offer any criticisms before I start cutting stuff up.

The three ballscrews are not shown but they are all 16mm dia 5mm pitch.

I could do with some with selecting the right motors too.

I hope to be able to upload the sketchup file to my webspace soon so if anyone wants to modify it they should be able to.

Many thanks

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails routertable-resized.jpg   router-top-view-resized.jpg  

Looks better than some of the commercial offerings! Get it made then.
    Keith

Nothing looks bad on it, just need to add on those motor mounts and ball screws to get an idea on how you plan to drive it.

It is a nice and simple design. On the gantry, are you using recirculating balls or bushings? There are some decent plastic bushings out there--Igus makes some. They work well with sawdust and tolerate misalignment better than balls. Also, for a router timing belts may work better than ballscrews--again they tolerate sawdust and dirt. There was an article in Machine Design about a year ago about a way to use timing belts with a differential carriage--sort of like a Chinese Windlass. This way you can get a large gear ratio without gearing down the input shaft--similar to a ballscrew. The article claimed that the inventor had obtained resolutions and repeatability similar to a ballscrew. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

I have to be honest, I don't know what sort of bearings/bushes I'm getting. I ordered a bundle deal from ebay which was 3 pairs of rails (12mm 16mm & 20mm), 2 bearing mounts for each rail, 3 ballsrews with nuts, mounts and couplings. All coming from China. According to the order tracking, the items are currently with customs. No doubt I will get a hefty bill for duty and VAT but it should still be a good saving.

Thanks for the info on the timing belt but as you can see, I'm pretty much committed to using ballscrews now.

I can't wait to get started properly. I will of course post my progress on this forum.

Hey Paul that looks like it will be a fantastic machine bro,where are you based in the UK I'm in Nottingham

Hi Kammo1

I am in Rochester, Kent. I'm hoping to find some cnc enthusiasts near me so I have someone I can call on when it all starts going wrong.

The bits have arrived today. They look great, only problem is the rails and bearings for the z axis were not in the delivery? An email is on its way to them.

Well, I did it.

It took about 5 months of grabbing the odd hour here or there but it works.

here are a few photos.

And finally, here's a video of it working

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhKl0S1JVds"]YouTube- ball in cube.wmv[/ame]

Nicely done, Grats on the machine!

Looks great! did you go with a MDF Z axis?

That Ball in Cube looks fantastic, I'd love to try something like that, Willing to share some more details on how it was done? share the model?

Hey hey, congrats! it really came out great. What are your IPM and all that?

Nice machine! Just wondering what cam software you used for the ball-in-box and where you came up with the model.

For those interested in some g-code for doing this can take a look at my attempt at a
    ball in sphere