587,744 active members*
2,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KL5056D with C10 and KL600 48V (Steppers Have No Torque!)

Okay... I think I'm missing a jumper, or a Mach3 setting, or something...

I have everything wired in per Keling's schematic. Took a little tweaking in Mach3 to get the motors turning, but they finally fired up!

However... The motors have such little torque that I can STOP them with my index finger and thumb! They are the 520 oz smooth steppers with the KL5056 Digital Drivers.

I'm running the KL600 48v. Power Supply, and here's my question...

The positive wire from the power supply is "daisy chained" across three of the digital controllers. Would this be "splitting" the required voltage causing low torque in my motors or do I simply need to mess with the kernel speed or steps/per?

My G0704 Mill is running stock screws with 10 TPI, so my estimated rate in Mach3 is around 16000!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Vintage View Post
    The positive wire from the power supply is "daisy chained" across three of the digital controllers. Would this be "splitting" the required voltage causing low torque in my motors or do I simply need to mess with the kernel speed or steps/per?
    While I would prefer to use a "star" connection such that the power leads to all of the drivers come from a single point, rather than "daisy chaining" them from one drive to the next and to the next, doing so will not split the voltage between the different drives, rather they will all have nearly the same voltage.

One possible reason for low torque could be an incorrect (too low) current setting on your drives.

What is the rated winding current for your steppers? What did you set the current DIP switches to?

Is it possible that you have set the current DIP switches "upside down" (such that when the manual says to set a switch to OFF you may have actually set it ON, and vice-versa)? Doing that could easily result in low torque.

Well... I think I got it figured out!

It was actually a combination of the switch settings on Keling's digital drivers and a faulty connection on my dir- signal wire...

The factory default on the voltage settings for the digital driver is "Software Controlled". I reset them to 42v 4.6amp and now I have holding torque on the motors.

I can still stop the motors by grabbing the handle slightly... But it's a huge improvement and seems to push my 1/4" roughing end mill through a .06 DOC pass at 1000 rpm.