587,812 active members*
3,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Sieg Super X3

I saw the new Sieg Super X3 on thier site and am trying to find out where they are sold. Does anyone know? Who sells the X2?
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

SIEG X2 Milling Machine

The SIEG X2 Milling Machine is sold by MicroMark. It is called the MicroLux #82573.

Whelen

I'm sorry, I meant the X3. I have an X2 from Harbor Freight. Its allready converted, and now I'd like to do a larger one. I have a Mill/Drill like the Ronco style, but would rather save up and get a X3. Who sells them?
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'm not sure but i would suspect that LatheMaster could help you out.

I saw the mill the other day on Siegs site and have to say it does look nice. Unfortunately my budget is a bit crimped at the moment, so all I can do is look. (stuck in the candy store without a penny)

Actually I'm surprised that Griz hasen't picked up on the demand for square column mills and givne us an offer.

Dave

Halfnutz, perhaps KDN Tool & Automation Engineering (www.kdntool.com) at [email protected] would know. They specialize in CNC conversion of the SIEG X1, X2, and X3 mills. They are in the process of converting my X2 right now.

Whelen

Well Lathemasters does have the Sieg X3, you have to kind of hunt for it, its on the order page. And also the other square collum, the Tong Yong ZAYxxxx. But no X3 Super. I'l try again searching.........
    Halfnutz

It might not be on Lathemasters site yet. This is a new model after all and it might not be ready for mass sale. That doesn't mean however that the importers don't know about the super. I suspect that all the importers do know, the smaller ones like Lathemaster though might whiling to talk about it. I'm certain that some one will pick up this mill soon as it really seems to hit the sweet spot.

Dave

EDIT!

This prompted me to look at Lathemasters web site. WHAT A SURPRSE they now have a 9x30 lathe on offer! Ok not a mill however interesting none the less.

By the way the ZAY7045FG there does look nice. I have to wonder about the difficulty of converting that machine,

Dave

Super X3's....how many orders.....??

I would be interested in a super depending on price but I wont be buying untill around march. I'm looking to get an x3 and a 9X20 harbor freight lathe and some tooling for under $2,000. The 9X20 is an easy one for me as I have a harbor freight retail store 15 minutes away from me so i'm not looking at any shipping on that.
    Darren

Smile Super X3

The only differences between the Super X3 and the X3 are:

Super X3 has a 1000 W motors variable from 100-1750 +/-10 RPMs and they give a spec "Max.tapping capacity 12mm" which they don't for the X3.

Hope this helps!

It looks like the entire mill head on the super is different. On the super the mill head is mounted on a swivel so the head can be turned on an angle, i dont think the regular x3 can do this.

Pics from sieg site

Darren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails br-super-3-3-3.gif  

Cool Tilting Head

If that's the case then I'll wait :frown: to order until LatheMaster has them in stock!

In the mean time I'll see if I can find more info on the Super X3!

Thanks!

jer29...I'd give Bob at Lathemaster a call...ask him if he plans to carry the SuperX3....he may have one in stock and you'll get it.

Also for an extra $199 for shipping and $100 in price differential I'd take the Lathemaster 9X30 over the HF unit.

thanks for the tip on that ViperTx i'll have to give it a look. I emailed sieg and they said that as of right now they dont have a usa importer for the super x3, if anyone hears from bob at lathemaster please post back here.

Ok Guys I have to ask, how many of you think that a tilting head is a worthwhile feauter to have on a mill of this size?

I only ask because the Bridgeport at work hardly ever has its head tilted. Admittedly this is for maintenance work so that is a different sort of usage relative to what is common to the work some of you do. The thing that bothers me is the small amount of table space to work with here. By the time the tooling is installed you will have used up a good portion of the table.

comments?

Personally I find the machine attractive for other reasons. Since importation is not happeniong at the moment and the bank account is screaming I geuss I can put off worrying to much about it.

Thanks
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Darren
    It looks like the entire mill head on the super is different. On the super the mill head is mounted on a swivel so the head can be turned on an angle, i dont think the regular x3 can do this.

Pics from sieg site

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by wizard
    Ok Guys I have to ask, how many of you think that a tilting head is a worthwhile feauter to have on a mill of this size?

I only ask because the Bridgeport at work hardly ever has its head tilted. Admittedly this is for maintenance work so that is a different sort of usage relative to what is common to the work some of you do. The thing that bothers me is the small amount of table space to work with here. By the time the tooling is installed you will have used up a good portion of the table.

comments?

Personally I find the machine attractive for other reasons. Since importation is not happeniong at the moment and the bank account is screaming I geuss I can put off worrying to much about it.

Thanks
    dave

I considered that also Wizard you do loose quite a bit of space and I wonder what you loose in rigidity???

Hmmm --- never thought about the rigidity issue. I suppose that if they put in enough bolts and married hings up well it wouldn't be an issue. It might actually make disassembly and moving the mill a bit easier.

II still wonder if the tilting head on a mill of this size and design has any value. I know others have used similar designs in their mills. In fact I believe one on display at HF had such a head. Still I have to wonder if the working space left over is worth anything.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jer29_11_13
    I considered that also Wizard you do loose quite a bit of space and I wonder what you loose in rigidity???

hi
    my name is colin have just completed cnc conversion of my old harrison 11" lathe works better than ever expected using mach 3
    am about to purchase a new mill to convert as my old excel with round column is not really suitable
    have set my mind on the sieg X3 seems to have excellent write ups on quality etc now have found the super X3 with horizontal mill capacity and it seems even better than the X3
    any help would be appreciated from anyone that has one or of any problems with the super
    many thanks
    colin

Hi colin. Welcome to the Zone. Wow! You have sure resurected an old thread here.

There are TWO X3s. Basicaly, the X3 is a better bet for CNC conversion. Its motor can be easily adapted to computer speed control through Mach3.

The SX3 is more suitable for manual operation where all of its bells and whistles: Quill DRO, Fine tuning Z adjustment, Tapping features etc can be used.

I have a Super X3. I like it for the trim head with motor enclosed. Someday I MIGHT use the tilting head.

But during the CNC conversion, most of the expensive perks were removed. I hope someday to find a reasonable way to adapt computer control to the BLDC motor. I'm not sorry I got the SX3, but I do acknowledge paying a lot for a tachometer and the possibility of using the tilt head feature.

My advice to you is to stick with the stock X3 for CNC conversion.

My electronics recommendation for X3/SX3:

$098 2 KL23H284-35-4B 387 oz motors for X and Y.
    $089 1 KL34H280-55-4A 637 oz motor for Z.
    $417 3 Gecko G203V unkillable drives.
    $189 KL- 6515 65v 15A PSU.
    $183 1 PMDX-132 Combo breakout board.
    -------
    $976

http://kelinginc.net/

http://www.pmdx.com/

CR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3844-copy_edited.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12