587,263 active members*
3,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Aligning multiple vises

Am I the only one that puts a piece of 3/4" drill rod in the collet and jogs the x back and forth with the rod just touching the rear jaw while snugging up the hardware? I do it with a singe vise but see no reason it wouldn't work with multiple. Even the spindle nose OD would work.

Quote Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
    Am I the only one that puts a piece of 3/4" drill rod in the collet and jogs the x back and forth with the rod just touching the rear jaw while snugging up the hardware? I do it with a singe vise but see no reason it wouldn't work with multiple. Even the spindle nose OD would work.
    I was wondering this same thing. I've done this on a manual mill and it worked for me. Real curious to see from the Tormach Gods what their thought is on this.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

I am no toach God by any means and it sounds like that would work. I like the drill rid of you know it is perfect and can chuck it up - I am running the tts so can't go bigger than 1/2" diameter.
    I personally like the idea of putting a precision bar between two buses so one can indicate and index the to what the job requires.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    I was wondering this same thing. I've done this on a manual mill and it worked for me. Real curious to see from the Tormach Gods what their thought is on this.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I am no toach God by any means and it sounds like that would work. I like the drill rid of you know it is perfect and can chuck it up - I am running the tts so can't go bigger than 1/2" diameter.
    I personally like the idea of putting a precision bar between two buses so one can indicate and index the to what the job requires.

What's the diameter of the R8 collet that holds your TTS?

There will be so little runout with a 3/4" drill rod protruding an inch or so out of your R8 collet. Obviously, you double check your vise with a DTI after but it's going to be very close.