587,328 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Servo or ball screw

I have a bridgeport series II interact II mill with TNC145 control. The x axis is starting to shutter as it moves. I did not notice this before. We have been running one job on the mill with a vary small operation area of probably 4" x 6". This is not a productin job, very intermittent. It feels like the x axis is dragging and it stutters when it moves. I pulled the way covers and the ways were a lot dryer than the ball screw with was well oiled. I cleaned and oiled the ways. The pnuematic oiler appears to be working. The y axis is very smooth. I manually moved the x axis full travel to make sure the oil on the ways was distributed. I programmed a rapid rectangular move to see if the shudder was there at "high" speed and it is but not as noticable when doing the normal program which runs at 15 IPM. Could it be a servo condition, or is there just not enough oil in the ways?
    Thanks,

After a while the metering points at the end of each lube line start to clog, they should be replaced every 5yrs or so, the pump should also be removed and cleaned as the oil starts to coagulate, and the lines blown out.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by hmc710 View Post
    I have a bridgeport series II interact II mill with TNC145 control. The x axis is starting to shutter as it moves. I did not notice this before. We have been running one job on the mill with a vary small operation area of probably 4" x 6". This is not a productin job, very intermittent. It feels like the x axis is dragging and it stutters when it moves. I pulled the way covers and the ways were a lot dryer than the ball screw with was well oiled. I cleaned and oiled the ways. The pnuematic oiler appears to be working. The y axis is very smooth. I manually moved the x axis full travel to make sure the oil on the ways was distributed. I programmed a rapid rectangular move to see if the shudder was there at "high" speed and it is but not as noticable when doing the normal program which runs at 15 IPM. Could it be a servo condition, or is there just not enough oil in the ways?
    Thanks,
    hmc710,
    It could very well be a servo problem, Can you swap the "x" and "y" motor to see if the studdering moves with the motor or stays on the same axis? If it moves , it is probably a dirty encoder or tachometer. Just a thought.
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe