587,218 active members*
2,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Repair costs?

For both my own reference as well as the value it may be to others considering the purchase of a used machine that may need repairs, I would like to hear from you out there about costs of repairs. Especially motors, drive amplifiers and encoders for various machines. These are the most often damaged parts due to voltage spikes etc. So if you have any experience with a CNC plasma repair bill it could help someone looking at a machine that appears to be a good deal when in fact it's a money pit.

I am very interested in Burny, CMC, Hypertherm, Koike, ESAB and other industrial systems that you have had to fix and what it cost.

You are smart to ask those questions up front. The cost of repair on most commercial machines can be astronomical. A main controller card can cost several thousand to replace or have repaired. Of course if you want to run with the Big Dogs you have to have the cash to get off the porch!

One of the reasons you see older CNC machines going for scrap prices is there is a problem with the electronics and it's a major cost that exceeds the value.

I have never owned a "commercial" CNC plasma but I have a couple of CNC machines (mills) I bought CHEAP because the electronics were on the fritz. It was cheaper to retrofit than to fix the old controller.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com