586,075 active members*
3,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New SB1001

Page 12 of 13 210111213
    Quote Originally Posted by jherndon View Post
    Recently went to Grizzly/South Bend website looking to purchase some parts for the SB1001 lathe and found on their list of parts many showed "This part is no longer available". Does anyone know what's going on with the SB1001 lathe? Could it have been discontunied and as parts run out thats the end of it. The lathe is listed in the new catalog, at a sale price of $1965.
    According to Papa Grizzly the lathe will be discontinued, according to tech support, not discontinued.
    That's one hell of a list of not available parts, makes me think about returning it and get a 10K.
    This can't be right because there's the same long list on no longer available parts for the 10K?

First post, practically read this entire thread.

Purchased a SB1001 today based off this thread and the sale pricing, should be here sometime next week. This will be for some small one off parts at our shop, this is my first lathe but do have a little experience with a 3-axis Bridgeport. I plan on setting this up on top of a 40x20 mobile tool chest and park it next to the mill.

Is there any must do's before powering up?

Also what would be decent set of tooling?

Thanks
    Mike

Thanks for posting these pics. Any plans to convert this to CNC ?

Congrats Mike for this new lathe. I am using this from last 7-8 months and happy to have it in my little workshop.
    Please refer to manual for detailed steps to carry out before powering up.
    I am using grizzly cutting tools as below.
    H8289 and inserts H8329

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post
    First post, practically read this entire thread.

Purchased a SB1001 today based off this thread and the sale pricing, should be here sometime next week. This will be for some small one off parts at our shop, this is my first lathe but do have a little experience with a 3-axis Bridgeport. I plan on setting this up on top of a 40x20 mobile tool chest and park it next to the mill.

Is there any must do's before powering up?

Also what would be decent set of tooling?

Thanks
    Mike
    Congrats on the new 8K. Make sure to check the bearings for grease and get rid of it. With the grease that was in mine, the rollers couldn't be turned by hand. Clean them out with WD-40 and oil with an ISO 32 oil. If I had to do it again I wouldn't pull the spindle, I would just run the lathe at the slowest speed and spray some WD in the oil nipples to thin out the grease. Do this before doing the spindle break-in.

For tooling, I am currently filling my shopping cart at Grizzly. I am trying out this 7 pc indexable carbide set and this boring bar set. Also you may want a quick change tool post. This QCTP is a direct bolt on.

Hope you enjoy the new lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by gambit View Post
    Congrats on the new 8K. Make sure to check the bearings for grease and get rid of it. With the grease that was in mine, the rollers couldn't be turned by hand. Clean them out with WD-40 and oil with an ISO 32 oil. If I had to do it again I wouldn't pull the spindle, I would just run the lathe at the slowest speed and spray some WD in the oil nipples to thin out the grease. Do this before doing the spindle break-in.

For tooling, I am currently filling my shopping cart at Grizzly. I am trying out this 7 pc indexable carbide set and this boring bar set. Also you may want a quick change tool post. This QCTP is a direct bolt on.

Sorry but my bad. Don't use WD-40 to clean out the grease, use mineral spirits or diesel fuel instead.

Hello Everyone,

Received the new spindle yesterday... The threads at the end of the tube are smashed in 3 places, front bearing seat has pretty deep scratch. D1 mount looks like steel was bitten off instead or machined. Contacted Grizzly they promised to repair it which I will never agree to. It has to be replaced so I expect another 4 month of waiting...

Here is the link to the pictures https://plus.google.com/112504783519...ts/cuhgJzvbALD . The scratch does not look significant on the normal picture, but macro tells it all.

Re: New SB1001

Received the lathe today, honestly it felt a little toy'ish since I'm used the the Bridgeport, all though feels foreign.

I cannot wait to learn how to turn some parts.

Mike

I picked up a South Bend 8K in November 2013. Have started to CNC it.

Decided I wanted to keep the threading option, so I've run the ballscrew down the middle of the bed (low enough so that I can still use the tailstock).

Would like to run a ballscrew next to the carriage, but for a short time I'm just going with a direct drive. It is a work in progress, but here is a picture if anyone is interested.
    Untitled 1

I'm considering the SB1001 for CNC conversion -- a few questions...
    1. How much backlash is there in the cross slide? (If tight enough, I may not need ballscrews.)
    2. I've read of some spindle/bearing problems -- how common is this?
    3. Youtube videos indicate the machine is noisy, esp at high speed. I'm not sure how much of this is from the geartrain, and how much from the Universal type motor (Grizzly's current spec sheet says Universal, but other posts say regular DC... maybe they switched?).
    4. Can a G540 directly control the motor speed, using the original potentiometer wires/inputs?
    5. Any general recommendations on this lathe? I'm also considering Wabeco D4000, D6000, at much more $, of course.
    Thanks for any insight,
    David
    David Malicky

Looking for Ser #'s, mfg dates, and where it shipped from and if any grease in bearings or other spindle issues to update my list.
    Mikbul

Quote Originally Posted by edn View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Received the new spindle yesterday... The threads at the end of the tube are smashed in 3 places, front bearing seat has pretty deep scratch. D1 mount looks like steel was bitten off instead or machined. Contacted Grizzly they promised to repair it which I will never agree to. It has to be replaced so I expect another 4 month of waiting...

Here is the link to the pictures https://plus.google.com/112504783519...ts/cuhgJzvbALD . The scratch does not look significant on the normal picture, but macro tells it all.
    EDN: just read your post and I would just file those threads clean on the pulley side and that scratch will make no difference to the machine's operation as long as there's no burrs sticking up. That's an interference fit and you could drill a small hole in the journal and it wouldn't make a difference. I'm still waiting for my third spindle and if I had that one it would already be back in my lathe.

Somehow I started another thread but didn't mean to. Anyway I'm looking to upgrade my list and if you could give the s/n, mfg date, where it shipped from and spindled issue, or no issue.
    Thanks,
    Mikbul

Just to update you on my spindle lube mods I purchased some FAG P5 bearings from " Locate a bearing". drilled out the ball and spring in the grease fittings and turned brass plugs for them. Took heavy flexible plastic from a folder and cut oil run over/slash guards and will rough up the surfaces and epoxy in place. I also drilled a hole in the pulley side flange same height as bottom of opening of bearing flange on chuck side. That height is exactly half way up the middle of the bottom roller and that's where Timkin recommends a drain to prevent churning, friction/ heat.

Quote Originally Posted by dmalicky View Post
    I'm considering the SB1001 for CNC conversion -- a few questions...
    1. How much backlash is there in the cross slide? (If tight enough, I may not need ballscrews.)
    2. I've read of some spindle/bearing problems -- how common is this?
    3. Youtube videos indicate the machine is noisy, esp at high speed. I'm not sure how much of this is from the geartrain, and how much from the Universal type motor (Grizzly's current spec sheet says Universal, but other posts say regular DC... maybe they switched?).
    4. Can a G540 directly control the motor speed, using the original potentiometer wires/inputs?
    5. Any general recommendations on this lathe? I'm also considering Wabeco D4000, D6000, at much more $, of course.
    Thanks for any insight,
    David
    Not much backlash in my crosslide and if you lap the gibs even better. There has been some issues with the spindle but not on the newer ones, I think it was a bad batch made in 2011 but not confirmed yet. Most new owners have been reporting mfg. dates of 2013. That's why I need anybody who has not given me their info to post or pm it.
    Mikbul

Updated list:
    1. Mikbul Saratoga, NY -s/n 1111 -Muncy, PA - mfg date 11/2011 Grease in bearings PM, HMEM,CNC Zone

2. Gambit Manitoba, Canada - s/n 1130 mfg 11/2011 - Grease in bearings PM, CNC Zone

3. Jauringer Tyler ,TX - s/n1288 - mfg 3/2013 No grease PM

4. Herrointment Michigan s/n 1272 mfg 03/2013 No Grease HMEM

5. Harrishom- CNC Zone N/I

6. Keith McElhenny N/I CNC Zone

7. Wibaa N/I CNC Zone

8. Lesvor N/I CNC Zone

9. J Herndon s/n 1009 mfg 07-2011 Grease in bearings CNC Zone -Shipped from Washington State

10. EDN N/I Spindle issues CNC Zone

11. Mike Clark N/I CNC Zone

12. Cutting Chips N/I CNC Zone

Quote Originally Posted by gambit View Post

Hello Gambit how you doing?
    Mikbul

Quote Originally Posted by Mikbul View Post
    Somehow I started another thread but didn't mean to. Anyway I'm looking to upgrade my list and if you could give the s/n, mfg date, where it shipped from and spindled issue, or no issue.
    Thanks,
    Mikbul
    I was referring to the "List thread"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikbul View Post
    Not much backlash in my crosslide and if you lap the gibs even better. There has been some issues with the spindle but not on the newer ones, I think it was a bad batch made in 2011 but not confirmed yet. Most new owners have been reporting mfg. dates of 2013. That's why I need anybody who has not given me their info to post or pm it.
    Mikbul
    Thanks for the info -- that's helpful.
    David Malicky

Here's some photos of the four spindle oil mods starting with Mod I did just after getting the lathe, makes it easier to get oil in. Basically drilled out the spring and ball and turned brass plugs to cap them off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2001.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	235952

Page 12 of 13 210111213