587,333 active members*
3,131 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie Question

I am sure all of you guys will now this but I am just learning on a TRM. How do you guys deal with the tool length offsets when you manually flip a part over in a vise. I can reset the X and Y axis but all of my tool length offsets are off. Should I make two programs? One for the front and one for the back. Or can I put in a program stop and flip the part and reset my lenth offsets somehow while in the Auto mode? Thanks for bearing with me I am still learning.

i always use multiple programs. it is much safer.

side one done, flip re-indicate your part making sure everything is zeroed properly then run program 2. you do not do yourself any favors by trying to rush a part doing it the "quick way". often some some small detail is missed and either the part ends up scrapped, or a tool gets broken.

my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Westling View Post
    I am sure all of you guys will now this but I am just learning on a TRM. How do you guys deal with the tool length offsets when you manually flip a part over in a vise. I can reset the X and Y axis but all of my tool length offsets are off. Should I make two programs? One for the front and one for the back. Or can I put in a program stop and flip the part and reset my lenth offsets somehow while in the Auto mode? Thanks for bearing with me I am still learning.
    I have a trm and will either flip over the part and re indicate the tlo and run program # 2 for the second side or if its a flat piece sitting on parralels and the height is the same I will flip in over and still load the seperate program. But austin is right, rushing always seems to wind up making a mess.

Mark

Make it all one program.

Set 1st work offset as G54, second as G55. Set G54 z work offset to zero and G55 z work offset to whatever you need to ie -.5" or whatever the height change is on the second fixture. You can figure that one out by just touching off the first z surface, zero out the display and touch off the second. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by nervis1 View Post
    Make it all one program.

Set 1st work offset as G54, second as G55. Set G54 z work offset to zero and G55 z work offset to whatever you need to ie -.5" or whatever the height change is on the second fixture. You can figure that one out by just touching off the first z surface, zero out the display and touch off the second. Make sense?
    that sounds like a timesaver

No program stop , use two vises one 1st op one 2nd op, run side one, then side two. Program ends remove completed part, flip side one into vise two, load new raw stock against work stop, hit go. That way you have a completed part coming off every cycle.

If you have a part with 5 ops same story, 5 parts on the table all in some process, completed part comes off every cycle and all get rotated down one fixture every cycle.

thats great info

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nervis1 View Post
    No program stop , use two vises one 1st op one 2nd op, run side one, then side two. Program ends remove completed part, flip side one into vise two, load new raw stock against work stop, hit go. That way you have a completed part coming off every cycle.

If you have a part with 5 ops same story, 5 parts on the table all in some process, completed part comes off every cycle and all get rotated down one fixture every cycle.
    I used to run a fadal 6030 in a high production shop and that is how we ran our multiple op parts. Saves time on having to change programs and re indicate everything.