587,760 active members*
2,810 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Compumill 1500 CNC Vertical Mill - Computer problems

Compumill 1500 CNC Vertical Mill - Computer problems

Hello,

I have a Compumill 1500 CNC Mill. It has Copley servo controls, and runs from a PC (486). There is an interface board (a CONTEC PIO-24/24 (PC)) that has two dip switches that assign it a hardware address. In an attempt to upgrade the computer, I had to change the hardware address. The upgrade was not successful, and I made the mistake of not writing down the original address.

Now I am just trying to return the machine to its original set up. The computer works fine, but cannot communicate to the rest of the machine. This doesn't suprise me, because I'm fairly confident that the address is not correct.

So, if anyone has one of these machines or the documentation for one, I would be greatly appriciative if you could tell me what the address should be. The two dip switches are blue and marked SW1 and SW2 on the Contec board. I can also provide pictures if that will help.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by beege View Post
    Thanks, I will give them a try on Monday, I remember the last time I tried contacting them about a different question about this machine I didn't get very far, but it never hurts to try again.

When you call them, do me a little favor and ask two questions AFTER you get what you need.

1. Does Dave Shaby still own the business? I believe he was the founder and the machines were simply good Taiwanese iron with his controls an them. Dated by today's standards, but good back in the '80's when I was a M/S supervisor and his Salesman, Fred Willet, used come in every couple of months trying to sell me one.

2. Is Fred Willet still with them? What a character. He'd come into my office, plop down and proceed to tell me how all my NC (not CNC) machines were junky and I should upgrade to a Compumill. Mind you, the old Cincinnati, Burgmaster, LeBlonde, and Bridgeport NC machines had all been upgraded with memory-edit units and were making fistfuls of money every day, and all paid for. Rather humorous, if not insulting, way to try and sell.

No Luck So Far

I've tried Compumachine, they said they no longer support the machine. If anyone has one that works, it would be awesome if you could look into this for me.

Thanks

Call Compumill again....ask for service(Bob & only Bob)...if this does not work, you're in trouble!
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rondawg333 View Post
    I've tried Compumachine, they said they no longer support the machine. If anyone has one that works, it would be awesome if you could look into this for me.

Thanks
    I know of some good technicians, but it would help to know where you are located. They are in the northeast US, but do travel to a certain extent.