587,394 active members*
3,621 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > CNC motor replacement/repair

CNC motor replacement/repair

Hi, At my highschool they have a proLIGHT 1000 vertical mill CNC, but its spindle motor does not run consitently, and it always makes a screaching sound (without and load). I am very new at machinese like these, and I was hoping that I could just BUY another motor with the specs given on their site, but I am having difficulty finding the correct source.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated by me, and all my fellow classmates.

The link to the manufacture page is : http://www.intelitek.com/products/pr...&pid=2&did=367

Check the motor bearings and brushes (if so equipped).

Add a drop of oil to the bearings. IF it helps, that DIDN'T fix it. Rather you only now know that the bearings are on their last legs. You can usually replace bearings at a fraction of the cost of a new motor.

Besides, you and your classmates would learn more by FIXING the problem instead of just BUYING a solution.

I will check that tommorow (equpped with SOME manual ), but I am not sure if it will be anything feasible to fix. I have been told that there has been about 3 different "technicians" that have attempted to fix it with no success. If it isn't anything easy to fix, what is the best way to buy a new motor and replace the old one?
    Thankyou

Once you are SURE it is the motor ('noise' can come from motor or other moving parts)

1. Contact the machine tool OEM
    2. Ask for tech support
    3. Discuss problem/issue
    4. Follow their advice.
    5. Ask to buy/download a parts/service manual. These usually have an exploded view which is helpful in servicing unit.
    6. Study item 5.
    7. See what's involved in repairing the motor if that is the REAL problem (IE quickly run motor on bench not hooked to anything) , if so proceed. IF not, then find true source of noise.

otherwise

8. Find numbers on motor if any and call the motor manufacturer.
    9. See if motor maker will sell or service motor.
    10. If not, take motor to a local electric motor shop - maybe they can service it.
    11. If 9 or 10 = NO, then a special motor that can't be bought in the aftermarket is involved and you may have to buy one from the machine tool maker.

Motors don't just "grow" that way, they are assembled from parts that the OEM makes or buys. Noise in machines is typically caused by rubbing members that shouldn't be. Thus, if the parts are sold separately, you can fix it (see items 8 thru 10).

People buy and replace bearings in motors all the time even when the OEM may not service them. It is a good learning experience to lrearn how to do this.

As this is a CNC, you may have had a head crash. Somebody may have crashed the head and is aftraid to admit it??? Thus, you could have noisey, damaged spindle bearings. Follow steps 1 thur 7 only this time focus on spindle.

Thank you very much. This will surely help me. I have contacted the manufacture requesting a parts/service manual, hopefully they will provide me with it.
    Once again, Thanks

Glad to help.

I truly hope that you and your classmates learn from this experience - fixing the machine tool is as important as learning how to use it.

Hmmm. I can remember when we used to fix TV sets (IE: tube checkers in drug stores and TV repair men) before the days when you'd simply buy a new one and throw away the old one. Hope the machine tool industry doesn't go that way....

Pro Light 1000 Spindle Motor

They use a Baldor (Ft Smith Ark) Motor
    Spec No: 25A004Z005
    Volts: 90DC
    Amp 10.60
    1 Hour 40 degree C
    6700 RPM
    No reducer

I too would love to find the cheapest source to buy this motor and the brushes.

Why is this in the IH Forum??? Maybe a mod will move it to the correct place...