587,103 active members*
4,399 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > HAAS MINI MILL Question (I'm pulling my hair out)

HAAS MINI MILL Question (I'm pulling my hair out)

Ok, I'm new to the HAAS field. I have a SL30 lathe that i am self taught on, and thats the same with the new Mini Mill we just got set up. I have looked all over in the manual for set up tricks when beginning a program and have had no luck finding an answer.

So my question is.

Is there a way to tell the machine your touching off on part zero with an edge finder and it calculates the offset for you?

Cause right now i have to touch off on my axis then move Z up and the axis in .100" then hit the zero part set. I would hope that HAAS has the same kind of fixture tools that our Fadal 4020 does. Cause at this point I'm not very happy with how Un-user friendly these machines are to set up compared to a Fadal.

So if there is the programs there or a setting that i cant find please let me know. I need to lower the set up time just for me. I'm in the military so i don't get paid for the per part rate or anything. I just don't like waisting time hitting a million buttons to set up tools and fixture offsets.

Also does anyone have a post for feature cam that works right the first time. The one i got keeps putting G00 and G01 in the same line after a tool change and i dont know how to fix it with out manually editing it on the machine

Thanks P/K

I haven't used a Fadal but I find the Haas control pretty easy to work with. It would be best if they would send you to either the mill or lathe training class. If you're near a local Hass Factory Outlet, they may provide that training, free of charge. Or they may have online training setup through the web. There are tons of tricks to using this control. Having a little background first will actually make the training much more worthwhile to you than if you were green to it.

You're aware that you can highlight any field in the offsets page, then punch in a number, right? Of course you are. Now the answer to your question: you know that any number in the display can be added to or subtracted from, by typing another number on top of it and pressing Write/Enter:

So if your Z offset reads -12.457 after using your edge finder, you could type -0.100 at the control, press Write/Enter and it will subtract that from your offset, changing it to -12.557.

I use 123 blocks in my vise to set offsets on the mill. This method will work for all three axes in that case.

To change an offset value to be the actual number you typed in (not added or subtracted) I think you type the number, then press F2. I'm pulling this from my head so you should double check that. I don't do it very often but I use this method for changing tool diameters or the tool radius in the lathe.
    Greg

if you stop expecting one controller to be like the other you'll be alot less stressed.

fadal controller some real cool features, but so does the haas.
    learn them as 2 seperate controls and don't try to compare them and the similairities will come thru for you.

i have both machines and mori sieki and okk with fuanuc controllers and like aspects of each controller.
    the fadal controller is one of the easiest to pick up unless you know a different control then i'm told it is hard to understand just like your problem in reverse.

i think the haas is the easiest to navigate thru and has options/ setting i can tweak out the wazu and i love it for that.

machines are like children you will love them all just in different ways because each has it's own personalities once you get to know them well enough.

hi keg,
    donkey has given your answer. press part zero set and then just move cursor to axis and .1 write. it will adjust your g54.

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply ive been real busy and havent had a chance to get on i tried what you said and it works great. I started playing and pushing buttons and figured out more too. Thanks again for the help you just made my life easier.

I got one last question,

When im setting up the tools, why cant i hit next tool after i set the offset and it go to the following tool. My HAAS SL30 lathe does that while in the offsets. Is there something im not doing in the right order or is there something in the steeings i need to turn on?

Thanks for the help

P/K

Quote Originally Posted by Powder_Keg View Post
    When im setting up the tools, why cant i hit next tool after i set the offset and it go to the following tool. My HAAS SL30 lathe does that while in the offsets. Is there something im not doing in the right order or is there something in the steeings i need to turn on?

Thanks for the help

P/K
    When you are in jog mode with the offset window displayed you should be able to do NEXT TOOL immediately after TOOL OFFSET ENTER, but if you touch anything in between it will not work.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    When you are in jog mode with the offset window displayed you should be able to do NEXT TOOL immediately after TOOL OFFSET ENTER, but if you touch anything in between it will not work.

Cool thanks ill try it again tonight. Its great having people that can answer questions.

Thanks again

Keg

Quote Originally Posted by Powder_Keg View Post
    Thanks! Sorry for the late reply ive been real busy and havent had a chance to get on i tried what you said and it works great. I started playing and pushing buttons and figured out more too. Thanks again for the help you just made my life easier.

I got one last question,

Thanks for the help

P/K
    If you hit next tool after hitting tool offset measure, it will go to next tool. But if you hit tool offset measure, then hit (-.1) enter/write, next tool don't work anymore. You would be better off hitting next tool directly after tool offset measure, then do your (-.1) write/enter