587,319 active members*
3,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > What to select when buying a 1100 Tormach?

What to select when buying a 1100 Tormach?

Zero experience machining, what would be a logical buying list from Tormach.

I did a search.

There have been a few of these questions recently, so I assume you've been through those threads? Maybe you've formed some questions during your search? If so, it may help folks give you some pointers or direction.

Without knowing much about your situation besides being a beginner like I was when I purchased my Tormach, Id recommend:

The machine
    Flood coolant and stand
    Power draw bar
    TTS CNC setup
    Tormach controller IF you are not computer savvy.

Lots of cheaper HSS tooling and wood... IF you are anything like me and most others, you will break lots of tools and make lots of mistakes while you figure stuff out. Despite the steep learning curve, you'll have a blast learning... well at least most of the time.

Can I ask what your goal is with the machine?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

David

Before we can suggest what to buy, it would be nice to know what you're going to do with it.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Lots of cheaper HSS tooling and wood... IF you are anything like me and most others, you will break lots of tools and make lots of mistakes while you figure stuff out. Despite the steep learning curve, you'll have a blast learning... well at least most of the time.
    I agree. Here is my first day:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTtKrQttnoE]Expensive CNC Lessons - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry for the vague post. No real use planned, I thought about an old American lathe and mill but don't want to restore anything. I know 20K isn't a drop in the bucket for a Tormach, probably will last longer then a new vehicle. I plan to retire in a few years and really want to learn cnc work. I can borrow the cash from myself for 1.3 percent.

No oportunity in the Vo-tech schools to get a cheaper intro to CNC now because I work out of state and commute a lot. I'll search through more threads today, thank you for all the help.

[QUOTE=Fish&Chips12;1213369]Sorry for the vague post. No real use planned, I thought about an old American lathe and mill but don't want to restore anything. I know 20K isn't a drop in the bucket for a Tormach, probably will last longer then a new vehicle. I plan to retire in a few years and really want to learn cnc work. I can borrow the cash from myself for 1.3 percent.QUOTE]

To make life a little easier, I would suggest the Standard PCNC 1100 package, then REMOVE the following:

30289 4th Axis Kit
    30197 Tailstock for rotary table
    30291 3 Jaw Chuck for rotary table

Unless you have a need for the 4th axis, you may be able to wait.

31890 Kress 800 watt high speed spindle kit

Have one, tried it once, haven't used it in 20 months. If you intend to do lots of engraving or miniature work, you may want this.

30553 5" Machinist Vise

I would suggest replacing this with a pair (or three) of the non-flanged vises. You can align them side by side and have 15" of clamping rather than 5". This is my next planned purchase.

2 each 31759 5" CNC Vise

This gives you a completely reasonable machine to work on. If you are not bothered by spending a little more, I would really suggest the Power Draw Bar and the foot switch that goes with it.

31706 Power Draw Bar
    31728 Power draw bar foot pedal
    31991 Power draw bar hose kit.

This comes out to about $15,800 without tax or shipping.

I did get the arms for mine, I use the right one for the keyboard, monitor, and related "stuff", the left one has a lot of junk on it too and the temporary tool rack for the tools I am using on the job at hand. I dont know that they are necessary but with the limited space I have, they are nice. I did buy a spindle centering indicator to locate centers etc, less expensive than a probe setup, probably not as fast but it works.

I have had the machine a bit less than a year and am having as much fun now as I did then, usually the new wears off but in this case it hasnt.......
    mike sr

I spent 45 years as a machinist/toolmaker, the last 30 on CNC and the last ten as an owner.

In my shop, I had a Fadal 3016 and a Haas TM1 with a 5C 4th axis, so I had a pretty good idea what I wanted when I bought my Tormach PCNC 1100.

I bought a PCNC 1100 Series II. (I got my series II about a month before the Series III's came out and the price went up $1,000.00) With it I bought 2 machine arms, the Tormach controller, mini keyboard, all the required USB stuff, standard monitor, jog controller, power draw bar, foot pedal, 4 each 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2 inch set screw tool holders. I also bought 6 each ER 16 and ER 20 collet tool holders. And probably a lot of stuff I forgot to mention.,

The ATC came along about 6 months later.

I now call myself Mid Day Machining because I seldom start working before 11:00 AM and I try to finish by 5:00 PM. Although I that seldom happens. Sometimes when I get out there (in my garage) I will lose all track of time and I will be in the there till 1:00 or 2:00 AM.

My wife wants me to clear out part of the garage so she can put her car in, but I keep telling her garages aren't for cars. Garages are for stuff. I don't understand people who have garage sales. If you sell your garage, where you gonna keep your stuff?

I started out by taking outside jobs, but have since switched over to my own hobby product line. I make parts for remote control gasoline powered boats and card.

I switched because I got damned tired of people taking 30 to 90 days to pay their bills. I can't go to the grocery store or the gas station and tell them, OH, i'll be back in 30 or 90 days to pay you.

What the hell gives these deadbeats in the machining industry the right to make us wait that long to get paid? Do they get their paycheck every Friday? You bet your butt they do. Why should I/you be any different? Why should they get to work on MY money for free?

AGH! Enough about that crap. Do I love my Tormach PCNC 1100? You bet your sweet bippy I do. Would I buy another one? In a heart beat.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I spent 45 years as a machinist/toolmaker, the last 30 on CNC and the last ten as an owner.

In my shop, I had a Fadal 3016 and a Haas TM1 with a 5C 4th axis, so I had a pretty good idea what I wanted when I bought my Tormach PCNC 1100.
    This tells me a lot. I'm currently trying to decide between a used 3016, used ProtoTrak, or a new (or used, if I can find one) Tormach.

I've taken several semesters of CNC / Machine Tool Tech at a local community college (for my own personal satisfaction). We used Jet manual mills and lathes in class, as well as a Lagun VMC. I volunteered a lot of time at a local engineering company, running their old Enshu VMC 30, VMC 430, couple of SNK CNC lathes, and the big Hardinge CNC lathe. Also played (very little) with the 10x20 waterjet table. Mostly cutting stainless for food-grade parts.

This is to establish that while still completely green, and not an "operator", I'm also not totally unfamiliar with the equipment. I've run a significant volume of (in-spec, acceptable) parts in delrin, stainless, aluminum, etc on machines, while adjusting for heat buildup, tool wear, etc.

I want to put a small prototyping machine in my personal shop. Something to kick out car parts, gun parts, RC parts, motorcycle, parts, or whatever pops into my mind. Not relying on this machine to generate an income, but hoping that someday it will. I have a habit of turning "hobby stuff" into "nice income", so I'd like to continue that trend.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy View Post
    This tells me a lot. I'm currently trying to decide between a used 3016, used ProtoTrak, or a new (or used, if I can find one) Tormach.

I've taken several semesters of CNC / Machine Tool Tech at a local community college (for my own personal satisfaction). We used Jet manual mills and lathes in class, as well as a Lagun VMC. I volunteered a lot of time at a local engineering company, running their old Enshu VMC 30, VMC 430, couple of SNK CNC lathes, and the big Hardinge CNC lathe. Also played (very little) with the 10x20 waterjet table. Mostly cutting stainless for food-grade parts.

This is to establish that while still completely green, and not an "operator", I'm also not totally unfamiliar with the equipment. I've run a significant volume of (in-spec, acceptable) parts in delrin, stainless, aluminum, etc on machines, while adjusting for heat buildup, tool wear, etc.

I want to put a small prototyping machine in my personal shop. Something to kick out car parts, gun parts, RC parts, motorcycle, parts, or whatever pops into my mind. Not relying on this machine to generate an income, but hoping that someday it will. I have a habit of turning "hobby stuff" into "nice income", so I'd like to continue that trend.
    Motoguy, here's something to consider. For the price of a GOOD 3016 FADAL, you can almost have two PCNC 770's. Or one PCNC 770 and one PCNC 1100.

I looked at both machines, and as it turned out the the first job I got for my PCNC 1100 was 19 inches long, so I had to move it anyway.

Since you already use TTS tooling, you probably have enough to get you started, and you can add to it as time goes on.

There has to be a way to protect your machines against lightning strikes, although I have no idea what that would be without just unplugging your machines at the end of each day.

I am patiently waiting for the Tormach lathe to be available. I don't have a lot of use for it, but do you remember the movie Field Of Dreams? "IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME".

I did that when I bought my Haas TM1 with the 5C 4th axis. There were times when had I not had the 4th axis, I wouldn't have had anything to do.

I had lots of jobs where I could leave the part 1/2 to 3/4" too long, machine one end square and then do more work on 2 to 6 sides.

I'll probably have a 4th axis for my PCNC 1100 before the lathe gets here.