587,395 active members*
3,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Should I get a mill or a lathe? (Turning with a mill?)

Should I get a mill or a lathe? (Turning with a mill?)

Ok, I have always been very much into DIY work and have wanted machine tool off and on for a long time. For someone who has no real experience machining, I feel I know a pretty decent amount about machining in general (I did lots of research about it when I had my fabrication business and was considering getting into machining). Recently, I have got into casting loading my own ammunition, and want to start making my own bullet cases out of aluminum. The way I would make the cases would be to take .5" aluminum rod, cut it down to 1.5" lengths, turn it down to ~.405" diameter (can vary by a few thou.), and bore a ~.3125-.375" hole about 1.3" into it from one end. Each end of the case will have a simple taper done for a little streamlining.

Here is a cross section of roughly what they will look like. The entire dark part is hollow, and the lighter grey part is where it will be filled with lead.

Ok, so you know what I want to make. Here is where I go back and forth:

I know whatever I get will also be used for other stuff. I know I personally would use a mill more than I would use a lathe. I might go ahead and spend the extra $100 to get the 7x10 over the 4x5 lathe, so I'd be looking at about $470 (vs about $350 for the micro mill). The mill I'd get would be the micro mill, for about $350 (after tax and warranty).

I can imagine that all the processes I am looking at would be much easier on a lathe, though I have read about people turning things on a mill (put the work in the chuck). However, most everything else I'd want to machine would be much more easily done on a mill, so it would make sense to get that for more general use.

I guess my question is, how hard would it be to do these small turning operations on a micro mill compared to a lathe?

Thanks, and sorry if my question is vague!

*edit*

And I know turning on a mill has been covered, but all the ones I can find are about using CNC to do it. This would be done manually.

have you concidered milling on a lathe , it wouldn't be that difficult to convert a lathe into a small horizontal mill and back again with a few simple to make brackets
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I was actually going to ask about how hard and effective it is to do that.

do a google search , there is a fair bit of info on the topic
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I'd suggest you get the 7x10 lathe. Look into a milling attachment for your lathe while you're saving up for a mill. You won't be happy till you have both machines. of course, you won't be happy then, you just need something else. This hobby is addictive and you always need bigger, better, more.

karl

I suggest the lathe by all means. Infact it has been stated that you really learn machine work on a lathe (over a mill). A inexpeinsive lathe is going to be a better product than a inexpeinsive mill ( will do its job better ). Or what I am saying is its easier to make a cheaper lathe that works good than it is to build a cheaper mill.

Also just starting out and learning I believe you will be able to mill on a lathe, better than you will be able turn on a mill. The lathe is just going to be more robust in the small form factor.

I would suggest going on up the ladder and getting a higher priced/better lathe. I know its a big jump from your stated price range but stepping up to a bigger unit will pay off in a big way as you start learning to do more. Such machines as a 10x18 are just much more machine and I can asure you that after you get one you will put it to many more uses than you planned. This will help in branching out to do milling and even other type work on the same machine. Going on up to the $800.00 to the $1000.00 range will be a machine with much more capabilities. Most machines in this price range will come with a nice set of tooling which will help recover some of the extra cost. Tools like backing plates, extra Chucks ( most will come with a 3 & 4 jaw chuck) , stead & follow rest, live & dead centers all add up very quick when you start buying to add to the ability of a lathe.

Ofcourse its easy to spend someone else money, one can only buy what one can afford. But do buy as big a lathe as you can afford, and do look at the big picture ( what the machine comes with, and what you will need). Most of the bigger lathes do have milling attachments you can get for them . You would be very surprized what I have seen some people make on lathes , you would swear they had a mill to help.

Just to give you something to read and study on give this thread a complete read from start to end. I believe post #157 has some pics of mill work being done on a lathe but all the post are good.
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=129669

I am not sure but you might have to join to see the pics.

Jess

Jess

Quote Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
    Ok, I have always been very much into DIY work and have wanted machine tool off and on for a long time. For someone who has no real experience machining, I feel I know a pretty decent amount about machining in general (I did lots of research about it when I had my fabrication business and was considering getting into machining). Recently, I have got into casting loading my own ammunition, and want to start making my own bullet cases out of aluminum. The way I would make the cases would be to take .5" aluminum rod, cut it down to 1.5" lengths, turn it down to ~.405" diameter (can vary by a few thou.), and bore a ~.3125-.375" hole about 1.3" into it from one end. Each end of the case will have a simple taper done for a little streamlining.

Here is a cross section of roughly what they will look like. The entire dark part is hollow, and the lighter grey part is where it will be filled with lead.

Ok, so you know what I want to make. Here is where I go back and forth:

I know whatever I get will also be used for other stuff. I know I personally would use a mill more than I would use a lathe. I might go ahead and spend the extra $100 to get the 7x10 over the 4x5 lathe, so I'd be looking at about $470 (vs about $350 for the micro mill). The mill I'd get would be the micro mill, for about $350 (after tax and warranty).

I can imagine that all the processes I am looking at would be much easier on a lathe, though I have read about people turning things on a mill (put the work in the chuck). However, most everything else I'd want to machine would be much more easily done on a mill, so it would make sense to get that for more general use.

I guess my question is, how hard would it be to do these small turning operations on a micro mill compared to a lathe?

Thanks, and sorry if my question is vague!

*edit*

And I know turning on a mill has been covered, but all the ones I can find are about using CNC to do it. This would be done manually.
    I have a 7x. The "blue" one and just saw a 4x5 at harbour freight.
    Since you have said that you want to use it for more than this, skip them both and go for at least the 8x which is better in many ways than the 9x and vastly superior to the 7x.
    The 4x5 is just a toy and your are very limited in what you can do, plus the handles are stupid small. I realise that you won't be putting huge torque into the handles but there is a limit that to how small a handle should be.

Don't have any experience with turning on a mill.

I do have an atlas mfc horizontal mill that would be a sinch to turn on, especially for small parts. Uses a mt2 collet in the spindle. If you made two tool holders and bolted them to the table you wouldn't have to change tools as you would do the first operation and then move to the second operation. Depending on exactly how it was laid out, you might even be able to mount three or 4 tools and have a poor man's tool changing lathe.
    You can find these on ebay for ~$500. They come with a real 1/3 hp motor which is like 1 hp in todays throwaway motors. I use mine to put 1/4" keyways in 1" diameter 304 stainless. It does a fine job. There are also several ways to convert it to a vertical mill.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.