587,443 active members*
3,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > "bad internal voltage" error on step motor driver, Please help!

Angry "bad internal voltage" error on step motor driver, Please help!

I have posted the start of the issue in the redsail section but am hoping to reach a wider audience here.

I have a Redsail x700 50w laser that had been operating since last October. About a month ago a random times the Y axis would stop responding to commands from the keypad and software. The LEDs on the driver would give the "bad internal voltage" error code. By restarting the laser the error would clear itself. It has gotten progressively worse to the point now where the code will not clear by restarting.

I ordered a replacement step motor driver from applied motion in California while waiting for a answer from Redsail. Once I got the driver installed the error code moved to the x-axis driver and the y axis worked fine. Applied motion using different step settings so the speed was off but it operated fine. I then removed the new driver and replaced the old one started checking connections to the PSU and everything else. Once everything was back together it worked for about 5 hours of work time. It has again stopped responding completely. I have tried plugging the unit into completely different outlets on different breaker boxes, I've tried a voltage stabilizer, I am out of ideas.

Redsail has responded in single sentences, they did offer to send new step motor drivers for the cost of shipping since it is under warranty, but since I already tried that it seems pointless. I have left messages at the Canadian office with no response and sent multiple emails to them directly. Their ebay contact responds erratically at best with single sentence answers. The most recent was to try to find a 40w powers supply to test the drivers. I did and they work fine.

My best guess is that is not a step motor driver issue but a PSU that is slowly going bad and operating on its last leg. I've attached some pics of the equipment compartment of my x700.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue? Is my evaluation of the problem correct? Where can I get a replacement PSU? Any help would be greatly appreciated as you all know have your equipment down costs doubly.

Attachment 196444

Attachment 196446

Attachment 196448

No idea what type but plenty of them on ebay, I'd say looking at the error light on the PSU that you are probably right.

cheers

Dave