587,656 active members*
6,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Newbie, No entities found

Newbie, No entities found

Hello,
    I'm a cad newbie and playing with the evaluation copy. I was able to draw my part easily (to my amazement) but when I try to open it in several different types of cam software there is nothing visible. I followed the first tutorial and was able to save that part and view it in cam so I'm missing a step somewhere. Any help would be appreciated, Shepard

Solid models consisting of surfaces only, lack any 2d geometry until you extract an edge.

Also, the filetype you choose for export may automatically remove any lines and arcs that your working file does contain. So, you may need to export two files, one as the solid model, and another as a dxf containing text, dimensions, etc.

Or, your cam software may have a function to permit you to extract edges from your solid model.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you
    If by extract an edge you mean extrude (just guessing) that worked for visualmill! If there is an "extract" function that will let me lay out my part in
    2d and see it on the cam software please let me know. At my infant stage of CAD/CAM it seems easier to add multipass to a 2d drawing in cam than to work with 3d.

OK, I found "extract." The help files seem to be saying that this will pull the 2d drawing to a particular plane. I originally built my part on the front plane and additionally tried extracting it to the front plane but it is still invisible in 2d on any cam software I try.

Shepard can you post your file for us to look at? Or pictures showing the feature tree all expanded? I'm sure one of us on here could help you if we could see part or all of what your doing. It's a bit tough to read a description and have a solution w/out looking at something..

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

To do 2.5D work in VM.
    Create a print in SW (usually all you will need is a top view).
    Save it is a dwg or dxf.
    Open it in VM.
    Done
    All lines are already regions and all you need to do is move them ("select all" "edit" "move") to the correct Z height and XY start point.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

If you need a model for 3D machining, save your SW model as iges or stl (I find the iges easier to work with because it has seperate surfaces making edge curve extraction much easier).
    Open in VM.

In VM you can draw geometry on the model by using lines, arcs, etc and using "snaps" to connect to edges and points in the model.
    You can extract "single flat area regions"
    You can extract "all flat area regions".
    You can also pick ANY surface and "extract edge curves".
    If all you need to do is 2.5D milling - my last posted method is WAY EASIER.

SW doesn't give me the option to save in dwg or dxf, at least not in the long pick list of file types that is revealed in "save as." I'll try to figure out how to post the file or a picture of the tree. I appreciate your efforts emmensely!

YOU HAVE TO CREATE A PRINT (drawing, slddrw)

Gotcha! I found the drawing app you were referring to. Sorry to be so dense. Your method then would be to create my 2d part as a drawing and save it as DXF (i see it will let me save a drawing as dxf). Can I import the part I orginally created? Either way I think this method will get me where I'm going. Thanks!

I found the import function. It works perfectly. Thanks to all who helped!

Remember to also set the scale to 1:1 when you make your drawing, otherwise the drawings will be scaled.

I've created a template for when I get profile cut parts made. It's a drawing template w/ a blank sheet format [nothing on it as a title block], I place my views [generally flat layouts] out off the white "drawing sheet" and then save the drawing as a dwg and you can open it in your CAM or Autocad or whatever your program of choice is..

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

I do the same as Jerry.

I ALWAYS take a verification measurement of geometry immediately upon import into CAM, it never hurts to double check.

I got really pissed off 1 day when I had a bunch of aluminum watercut from a supplier of mine and it was all 1/4 size.
    He said that it was my fault because my DXF was scaled wrong. It is true that the scaling came through wrong BUT I ALSO SENT HIM A FULLY DIMENSIONED SHOP DRAWING.
    All he had to do was check.
    He charged me for the re-cut and wouldn't hear nunofit about it being his fault.

Funny Darebee.. I had my laser cutter call me about this today.. seem's he has about 4 guys who refuse to send him files scaled 1:1... he called to find out how it was that I could order so @#%@#%@ much stuff.. and he NEVER has to re-scale things.. I explained it to him.. he's going to try and pound it into his customers heads.. it's so easy.. I don't know why people don't just do it.. two clicks of a mouse and its done..

ahh well..

Life wouldn't be interesting if everyone did everything the same as everyone else...

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy