587,714 active members*
4,573 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cat30 tooling in BP rigid ram problem

I picked up a BP Series I rigid ram CNC a few weeks ago. Finally had time to mess with the tooling I recieved with it along with some tooling I picked up on eBay. The Cat30 tooling is held onto the spindle with a sort of nut that is tightened by a C wrench. My problem is that many of the collets and nut don't seem to jive very well. Some have too large an OD to fit up into the nut, some have the flange too thick so the ears in the nut won't engage the collet, and other odd problems of fitting the tooling to the spindle.

Along with the mill I recieved a new Aussie Power Drawbar. The drawbar that came with the unit is for R8 collets. Does anyone make a drawbar that works with the Aussie Power drawbar and Cat30 collets? If not, has anyone ever made a drawbar to mate the Aussie system to Cat30 collets? I don't mind making one if I have to, but I'd like to know if I'd be wasting my time.

One problem I have is that I'm a paraplegic and thought having an air operated brake with tool change capability at table level would address most of my reach problems. I was recently the lucky recipiant of a wheelchair through the VA that allows me to standm, so my reach problems are addressed to a point now. Reaching the actvating handle of the Aussie Power Drawbar is now possible if I install it.

What are the thoughts for tool changing and is there something better out there? The ultimate would be to hit a button, have the tooling drop out, toss a new collet/tool into the spindle and release the button which then has the collet drawn up into the spindle. That's what the collet knobs appear to be for I've seen in pictures, but I havent seen any mechanism for sale that'd do the trick. This leaves me wondering if I can make the Aussie system work.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

are you sure it's CAT 30? Most of these machines came with NMTB 30. You have to be careful with stuff you buy on ebay. There is quite a bit that isn't compatible with the Kennametal that they used, because it was meant to be used with a drawbar. This tooling often can be made to work by modifications using a lathe.

MrWild-
    I have a bridgeport with a Kurt power drawbar, and it used NMTB 30 tooling.
    Looks like this:
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...1599&PMCTLG=00
    The NMTB style uses a 1/2-13 thread in the end of the toolholder instead of a retention knob. There is also another type of 30 taper tooling used on some Bridgeports. I believe it was called Quick-Switch, and did not use a drawbar. The best thing would be for you to contact Machinetek, a member here on CNCzone, as he has many years experience servicing bridgeports.

If your machine does take NMTB 30 tooling, a replacement drawbar can be purchased from Kurt at:
    http://www.kurtworkholding.com/drawbar/automatic.php

I have an air cylinder brake as an original option on my mill, and I have re-plumbed it so that the brake activates as I insert or remove a tool with the power drawbar. It works well, and is very simple. One hand on the button, and the other changes the tool. If you are intersted, I could send you a picture of how it is mounted.

Good luck with your machine. What are you planning on making with it?

NEATman

My mistake. NMTB 30 tooling is what I have. There is a brake air cylinder, but it is off of the machine (found on the bottom of the control cabinet). The lever that hooks it to the brake knob/boss of the head is broken and I'll have to machine up a new one.

The machine was retrofitted in 97 with an Acroloop 2000 servo drive and servos. When it was listed on eBay the owner never bothered to clean it up. It looked rusty so no one bid on it and I landed it for a song (compared to other CNCs). When I picked it up, I found most of what looked like rust was dried coolant. I'm sure if he had taken the time to clean it, he would have gotten several thousand more for it, but I don't mind doing that work. I watched it go through the paces and it ran well.

I used to build custom motorcycles before I took ill with cancer and a spinal cord injury. Lately it's been heart ailments and systemic infections. I'd like to make one off parts for the high end bikes (but I'll do whatever it takes to make a biz work). There are several ideas for turn signals, clockwork internal throttles and other widgets banging around in my head. The custom builders seem to go braindead when it comes to using turn signals and meeting laws. I think this has more to do with a lack of signals and other items to meet these laws that have the sleek custom look builders would accept.

My shop has been built slowly over the years by reinvesting any funds the shop has made. I've never bought anything that was considered hobby grade as the parts I've made in the past would have stressed the smaller machines. It would be nice to finish the shop and start a lucrative business. While some others seek SSDI as a way to quit work and malinger, I want off of it and would like to be my own boss. I'm very close and the one thing that will help the business get off the ground is no overhead caused by paying for machinery and tooling. There will be plenty of other things to suck overhead I'm sure.

My mill being unloaded by some good friends:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/16142...+up+unfriendly

Well, I won't be bidding against you if you see tooling on ebay, as I luckily got a complete set of tooling. I have seen tooling from time to time, and there is a used machinery dealer near me that has a decent selection of these tools. They are usually about $25 each, and I bought a couple of the ones that I was missing there. Thier website is:
    http://www.brothersmachinery.com/
    It's best to give them a call, and expalin exactly what you are looking for. They may even ship items, but I have never asked before.

I understand what you mean about ideas banging around in your head, I'm the same way.

Good luck with the motorcycle parts business. It seems like there is plenty of oppurtunity, especially if you have a safe product.

NEATman

I was pretty obsessive about buying tooling for my BP for a while, but I'm pretty well equipped now. I think the only 30 taper stuff I'm still looking for is a Jacobs taper adapter.

I can see why you have interest in automating as much of the milling work as possible. Standing at a mill gets pretty tiring after a while, and I'm a perfectly healthy middle aged male. Tool changers are an issue, the ones BP sold were problematic. You'd think a power drawbar would get you most of the way to a working tool changer. It seems like the spindle nose might have to be changed out.