587,235 active members*
3,555 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > How Do I Remove X-Table from RF-45 Clone Mill?

How Do I Remove X-Table from RF-45 Clone Mill?

I recently bought a "ZX45" (RF-45 Clone) from Wholesale Tools. I managed to get the thing off my truck and onto my garage floor, but now I'm looking to disassemble as much of it as I can (without messing anything up!) in order to get it into my basement. The head removal seems pretty straightforward, but I'm not sure about removing the longitudinal (x-axis) table.

I removed the roll pin and micrometer knob, as well as the two machine screws that secure the leadscrew bracket. What I'm not sure about though, are the the two pins (steel dowels) that remain inserted in the bracket. I gave a couple taps with a hammer on the back of the bracket, but it's not budging. When I looked at Grizzly manual for their version of the RF45 (G0519), it calls those pins "taper pins." If they truly are tapered pins, then I assume that they must be removed in order to get the bracket off? (Looks like there are internal threads--do I thread a machine screw in there to remove the pins?)

I'll try to attach a picture of the bracket and pins (will be my first try at attaching a photo so hopefully will do it right).

Thanks in advance for any help. This is a great forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000516.JPG  

You can pull the pins out by screwing in a bolt and use a larger nut as a spacer to allow the pin to come up.

I just tapped around the end plate until the paint cracks and it will come off.

The bolt with the nut/spacer did the trick! (The tapping with a hammer wasn't doing it for me.)

Thanks a lot for your help.

great fun, I have a machine just like it. doing a build now to cnc (of course, who isnt right?) let me know if you need any info-I am a bit of anoob myself.

I was able to knock out the pins using a small (yellow for stanley) nail sink-it is like a punch but with a little round divet in the end for knocking nail heads flush to your workpiece (wood). you can get them at menards/walmart/ etc for a buck or two. Dont go too big.

Thanks for your offer of help, Matt--I'm sure there will be more noobish questions to come. For now, I'm just trying to get the thing in my basement shop without destroying it or me!