587,223 active members*
3,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need better torch height control?

I just bought a commercial Plasma table cutter in need of a new control. its an old Cybermation unit http://www.cimtec-inc.com/cfc7000.htm Its called an HVAC table only for sheet metal. I'd like to upgrade to cut 1/2" steel and AL sheets

The torch head clamps to a shoe with roller balls a couple inches away in all directions. The whole shoe is on a slide with an air cyclinder to retract. When running, you just drop the shoe on to the work and turn on the torch. height of the torch can be adjusted by unclamping and sliding, only when the torch is off.

In reading other threads I see Z axis ball screw and other devices for raise/lower of torch. What advantages to this over the simple setup I have? In other words do I need to upgrade here?

Karl

Hi Karl
    Keep it simple is my motto.
    THC is fine, but generally you have to freeze the height when you slow to go round corners or the head will dive. Perhaps not nessesary if you have a super fast modern machine, but with a wire driven cyb it might be a bit of an issue. We have machines cuttting this thickness with ball transfer heads and have no issues, just keep your balls clean, perhaps spray them with anti-spatter spray.

Mike

Techserv

Hi Karl,
    Mike is right about the CYB cable drive. It is too sloppy for precision cutting. Also the CYB controller does not have a Height Freeze output for a THC.
    It waqs made for HVAC Duct cutting where +/- 1/8 inch was ok.
    The roller ball head works fine, but will mark the AL plates if you are trying to keep them clean.
    We have a Cybermation Retrofit Package available, but it retains the cable drive.
    We can convert it to Rack & Pinion Drive and then it would be accurate for thicker cutting.
    Where are you located?

[email protected]
    Alan Bradford
    www.plasmatechnologies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bradford View Post
    Hi Karl,
    Mike is right about the CYB cable drive. It is too sloppy for precision cutting. Also the CYB controller does not have a Height Freeze output for a THC.
    It waqs made for HVAC Duct cutting where +/- 1/8 inch was ok.
    The roller ball head works fine, but will mark the AL plates if you are trying to keep them clean.
    We have a Cybermation Retrofit Package available, but it retains the cable drive.
    We can convert it to Rack & Pinion Drive and then it would be accurate for thicker cutting.
    Where are you located?

[email protected]
    I'm replacing the control. If adding torch height control makes the machine better, I want to do it. What advantage does it give? (I'm thinking keep the shoe and air retract - add a device to raise/lower the torch within the shoe just a small amount)

Marking AL would not be an issue, no plans for decorative work.

I want to upgrade the cable to timing belt or rack and pinion. If you sell parts for upgrade, email me directly [email protected]

P.S. Any interest at all in the old cybermation control? It was running the day I bought the machine (last Friday)

Karl

Hi Karl,
    I throw the old Cyb stuff in the dumpster when i do a retrofit.
    I will send you information on what is involved in changing out the control and drives.
    I havent done a CYB with Rack & Pinion drive but it isnt any diffrent than other machines.

Thanks,
    Alan Bradford
    www.plasmatechnologies.com