587,529 active members*
3,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electrical interference (Plasma Table)

How can I prevent my plasma cutter from freaking out my electronics? My table starts cutting and then the mouse on the computer blinks off and on and then the axis motors start going nuts. It does not happen if I am not running the torch.

Most likely a grounding/common bonding problem.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

How about some details about you cnc machine, and info about your plasma such as make model. There are hndreds of thousands of cnc's running with plasma.....the succesful ones use adequate filtering of inputs and outputs, isolation of the plasma torch leads from other cables, and proper grounding and shielding techniques for the machine and for control cables.

Jim

Its a homebuilt table with probotix drivers and controller. I think it may have been that I was attaching the ground to the table and not the material. I attached it directly to the material and it has improved. It still freaks out my optical mouse but the motors did not act up.

And your plasma system make and model? Is it high frequency start? Is it an inverter based unit?

Jim

Do verify if you have copper ground properly embedded under 10 feet ground for best performance. We still need your plasma brand & models.

Non High Frequency Start Plasma Brand such as Hypertherm, Thermadyne & Kaliburn will have very rare chances of freaking out your electronics.

High Frequency Start Plasma Brand such as China Plasma cutters, Lincoln, etc. uses the old technology to ignite plasma, alot of strong noises will cause your electronics to freak out, as well as crashing your PC. You might even experience Blue Screen Of Death or sudden restart of PC.
    RobotshopCNC Malaysia, Offering Robotic Plasma Cutting CNC, Robotic Flame Cutting CNC.