587,646 active members*
2,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question New To The Industry

Hello to all that read this.

My name is JR and I am I am very new to the industry. About a month in and completely green behind the ears in this field of work.

Long story short, for now, I love it already and find it truly fascinating! So I have taken a month to get familiar with the shop and ask many questions, check out all the different things going on in the shop, and generally being very curious of everything. The reason I have done this little research is because I am a mental mapper and want to be able to set my personal goals. And in doing this I also know that depending what the company does with me that that may dictate my goals and even alter them.

So what it is that I am looking for is somewhat of a time line I suppose. From being hired with no experience as an operator to set up man. I have found the order of which this would go but not an estimated time line.

This would be very helpful for me in my mental mapping. Thank you very much for taking the time to read and reply if you choose to do so.

JR

Wink For whatever it's worth...

Quote Originally Posted by jrm1010 View Post
    So what it is that I am looking for is somewhat of a time line I suppose. From being hired with no experience as an operator to set up man. I have found the order of which this would go but not an estimated time line.

This would be very helpful for me in my mental mapping. Thank you very much for taking the time to read and reply if you choose to do so.

JR
    ----
    JR, how long it would take for you to advance to the level you want to be in a m/s environment depends, as you must already know, on a lot of variables. It might take couple/three years (on a less complicated work) until you start feeling comfortable enough to be recognized as a potential set up man. However, on some very simple CNC operations, you can accomplish your goal in just a few months.

Good luck!

Welcome to the World of Machining!
    The never ending thought provoking machine that it is in its self.
    I would say about 1-3 years depending on what type of work you are doing and the machines that you run on a daily basis. If you are moved around from one machine to another a lot it would take longer to become a setup man,that would be the 3 years; but you would have more exp on setting up diff. machines. than if you run the same machine everyday that would be around a year.
    So good luck with all that you do, and feel free to ask any questions that you may have, that is why this place is here.:cheers: