587,675 active members*
3,514 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mikini 1610LP

Have been very enthusiastically reading about the Mikini mill, and I want to look more into the 1610LP with ATC and servo motors, as I want to quickly move from hobby machinist to small home based business.
    Without knowing what the import cost into Australia would be, it is hard to put together a full plan, but based on the prices on Mikini mechs website and coverted to $AUD, I believe my plan is feasible.
    Now I just need to get lots more info on the 1610LP, possibly even try to see a demo in action.
    I would be willing to jet to CA to view the MK1 version, but would obviously prefer somewhere closer to home if anyone has or knows of one of these in use presently?
    Thanks all, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments.

If you don't get a response here, Mikini should be able to put you in contact with any owners in Australia that are willing to demo or show their mills. I know that Tormach does this routinely.

Mike

Thanks Mike, i'll eagerly await Mikini's reply to my week old email request for information.

If you read the rest of the messages in this forum, you may get an idea of what you would be in for if you do eventually buy a Mikini... I would suggest you look in to a Tormach...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Of if you have the money, go for a UMC10:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-y03hhCCME]UMC 10: Scratch Built CNC with Automatic Tool Changer - YouTube[/ame]
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

If I were you I wouldn't even consider a Mikini until they get their **** ironed out. If they can do that and get a bullet proof spindle, it would be a nice little machine, until then it is a safe bet you will up a creek and on this forum trying to figure out what's wrong with it in no time.

Any particular issues you've encountered with the mikini spindle, ie bearing issues etc....?

Harry82,

I also live in Australia and have a friend that ordered a 1610L. I also liked the size and features of the machine and was ready to place an order when I saw what his machine was like. About 10 months went by with not even a hint of the machine being built, let alone delivered to Australia. The original delivery time promised was 3 months if my memory is correct. The order was cancelled for non-deliviery of the machine. A lot of excuses about manufacturing issues at the time, these may well be sorted out now but from what I saw I would advise caution.

My mate now owns a Tormach and I have a Syil X7. Both these machines have good and "could be better" features, but you have to remember they are built to a price.

I have not seen any evidence that the 1610LP actually exists. I know that talk of this machine has been around for years. Its probably still "vapourware".

Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry82 View Post
    Any particular issues you've encountered with the mikini spindle, ie bearing issues etc....?
    Yeah look up almost any thread in this forum and you will find relentless spindle issues ad nauseum. Virtually every Mikini owner has spindle issues and some have gone through the process of gutting and replacing the spindle with 3rd party components. I had my Mikini for about a year completely un-usable because of the spindle RPM drops. Mikini was very little help and I spent a lot of money trying to figure it out. I eventually had the spindle board replaced and it fixed the RPM dipping issue but introduced a number of new issues, i.e. will not reach max RPM, gets very hot, not enough torque to be usable. I've done very little with this machine because I can't trust the spindle, and it has no power or speed, but now I can't do much with it even if I wanted to because I started a long term chemotherapy regimen and just don't have any energy at all to mess with it. When I get better I might roll the damn thing down the hill just to be rid of it.

Thanks for the heads up about the spindle issues SWATH, that pretty much makes my decision for me, as I want to move from hobby ideas to full on production and can't afford a machine always breaking down.

*Chevalier, what do you think of the X7? The V7 has caught my eye as a possibility for home based work, guess now I need to start a new thread to ask questions about it.

Thanks for the help everybody, the feedback is much appreciated

Harry82

I have sent you a PM with my contact details. Its easier if you call to discuss rather then write a long winded report here.

Harry,

If you are going to be earning your living with this thing get a Tormach. The other machines look good on paper but the Tormach puts chips on the floor. It's a mature proven design and there is a real support organization behind it.

bob

Wow SWATH sorry to hear about your health. Good luck with your treatment and I hope you get to feeling better man.

Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    Yeah look up almost any thread in this forum and you will find relentless spindle issues ad nauseum. Virtually every Mikini owner has spindle issues and some have gone through the process of gutting and replacing the spindle with 3rd party components. I had my Mikini for about a year completely un-usable because of the spindle RPM drops. Mikini was very little help and I spent a lot of money trying to figure it out. I eventually had the spindle board replaced and it fixed the RPM dipping issue but introduced a number of new issues, i.e. will not reach max RPM, gets very hot, not enough torque to be usable. I've done very little with this machine because I can't trust the spindle, and it has no power or speed, but now I can't do much with it even if I wanted to because I started a long term chemotherapy regimen and just don't have any energy at all to mess with it. When I get better I might roll the damn thing down the hill just to be rid of it.

I agree with rowbare get the Tormach. I doubt it's perfect either but I see most of it's users talking about using the machine rather than just fixing and or retrofitting it.

I most certainly wish I had. Though my retrofitted Mikini is working well now I wasted three years of it not working at all or not working well. I could have put that time to making chips

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    Harry,

If you are going to be earning your living with this thing get a Tormach. The other machines look good on paper but the Tormach puts chips on the floor. It's a mature proven design and there is a real support organization behind it.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by allenj20 View Post
    Wow SWATH sorry to hear about your health. Good luck with your treatment and I hope you get to feeling better man.
    Thanks Allen,

Yeah it sucks but the chemo is working so that's good news and I have an excellent chance of being cured by next spring. I feel pretty gawd awful all the time but sometimes I can muster enough energy to at least cut something on the machine but it is really trying my patience. I too wish I had bought a Tormach, and I almost did but thought I would take a chance on the Mikini. At least with the Tormach if something goes wrong they will make sure to fix it right and not waste your fleeting time with a bunch of baloney.