587,768 active members*
3,273 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sieg X2 CNC Conversion

I've got a Sieg X2 mill that I want to convert to CNC.

I've ordered the CNC Fusion #2 kit - with ballscrews for the X,Y and Z axis.

For motors, I'm thinking of using three NEMA23 3.1Nm steppers (439oz).

To control these, I would rather use an individual driver for each motor as well as an individual breakout board, rather than a combined one (such as a Gecko G540).

I like modular designs. I've found a pretty cheap driver - rated at 50v and 4.5A, supporting microstepping:
    Stepper Motor Driver 4.5A, 50V CNC Microstepping

The same hardware is available under several names, including Rhonmac-CNC (their page includes internal photos):Stepper Motor Drivers

Specs:
    High torque at high speed at a low cost
    Voltage from +20Vdc to +50Vdc. Current output up to 4.5 amps adjustable onboard with dip switches
    Automatic idle-current reduction, reducing motor heating
    3-state current control also reducing motor heating
    14 Selectable resolutions from 400 to 25000 pulses/rev. DIP switch selectable
    Suitable for 4, 6 and 8 lead motors. 2 phase and 4 phase motors
    DIP switch current setting with 8 settings
    Short circuit, over voltage, low voltage protection
    Easy wiring by screw terminals
    Size 107 x 33 x 85mm. With built in heat sink.
    Can be Mounted Vertically or Horizontally

High performance microstepping chopper Driver with small size therefore small enclosure footprint is achievable. Advanced protection circuit built in as standard please see data sheet below.

All inputs are optically isolated giving further protection in isolating driver from control electronics and helps with noise immunity.

I've found this driver on ebay for £110 for three drivers and a seperate breakout board. This seems quite cheap for three 4.5A 50v drivers.

I'm planning to run everything off 48v.

Any thoughts or advice on my setup? The only part ordered so far is the CNC Fusion kit. Are three NEMA23 439oz motors a good choice for this?

Many thanks
    Andrew

Does anyone have any experience with X2 conversions or similar stepper motor drivers?

As far as I can tell, the motors and controllers I have selected look fine, but I'd love a second opinion.

Thanks!

Those will work well for your X2, pretty much the same ones that keling sells that a lot
    of us use over here.
    Those drivers are a good match for the 439 motors cnc4you sells too.
    Nema23 Stepper Motor 3.1Nm
    You'll be good to go.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Yes, the basic kit looks like it should work.

Why do you want to buy individual drivers and such? I've hand-wired three control boxes from individual bits over the past few years, and after the current one is done, never again. Making a good enclosure, figuring all the bits out properly... what a hassle.

If you're worried about frying things, the drivers in the G540 are individually replaceable, AFAIK. Though by having the whole thing built for you, the opportunities to fry something are significantly reduced. All you have to do is make sure all the motor wires are connected and you don't put the +48VDC supply into a 5V logic pin.