587,255 active members*
2,942 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question MT3 Chuck adapter removal

I have the R8 spindle replacement on order for my Grizzly X2 mill. The drill chuck that came with my machine has the MT3 taper. I heed a lesson on how to remove that adapter and perhaps a suggestion or two on what would be a reasonable R8 replacement.

RWW

You have to use 2 wedges that fit behind the chuck, the arbor will have a small shoulder
    on it that one wedge will fit against, you rest one wedge on a steel plate and hit the other one with a hammer, just watch the chuck does not fly off on to the floor put something in front of it.

These are for a J2 & J6 Chuck removal

Here is a photo of the wedges so you know what to make or buy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wedge J6 J2.jpg  
    Mactec54

mt3 vs r8

Interestingly enough, I have been considering swapping from R8 back to MT3. I use the Tormach tools, and the MT3 spindle will allow the entire mill head to be about 3/4" lower on the z axis during machining operations, along with the tool being this much closer to the lower spindle bearing - should increase the overall rigidity. Maybe I am overthinking it?
    www.rc-monster.com

So to make sure I understand ..... One wedge acts as a cradle for the adaptor and the other goes down from the top side and you give it a good smack with the hammer.

Would it work if one was to just put the assembly in a vice and tighten the wedges down by cranking on the vise handle. I think that would be easier to control things.

Thanks for the tip on how to do this.

RWW

I've briefly considered changing my MM mill from MT3 to R8 but I've got a lot of MT3 tools already. LMS sells the conversion spindle kit for $55. They sell just the spindle for $54. The tools for installing either are $60 (or make your own). If I did swap, I'd probably just buy the complete R8 spindle box assembly for $120 as it's basically just bolt-on and go.

I considered the complete R8 spindle box but I wanted the tools so I went with the conversion kit and tools and video on how to do it.

RWW