587,543 active members*
4,672 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Remanufactured Fadal

Question Remanufactured Fadal

Has anyone bought a remanufactured FADAL?
    If so, what are your comments/concerns?
    Thanks for your time,
    Respectfully,
    James Winn

Yes I bought a 4020 reman and would not do it again. They told me that it was all new exept the main casting. Ha. The monitor was even the older type with the new button layout. I lost the inverter on the spindle two weeks out of warranty and they would not cover the cost of it. They only covered part of it. I have had a glitch in the machine while drilling mulitple holes since day 1 and they still cant fix it. I told them that if they didnt fix the problem I would not buy another Fadal. At this point I dont know what I would buy.

Just out of curiosity , what is the glitch you are having?

The glitch we have had since day one is with drilling. If you just drill one or 2 holes its fine but if you drill a series of holes as in a tube sheet, it will just stop drilling and give an axis alarm. The drill may be in the hole, rapiding to the next hole or completely through the hole. Some times it will give the same alarm when it rapiding down to a part with any tool.

These are one of the worst shams in the industry or at least they were. Even from close nit ties with Fadal I was told they do a quick once over and resell the machine.

Cool

I invite anyone to come to the factory and I will personally give you a tour of the Reman facility. Then you tell me if you think it's a sham!!!!!!!!!

Neal

Neal where the hell have you been on the other threads? This is what I was told by a salesman. I usually disreguard this kind of talk but when you hear it from someone who sells these machines then it makes it hard not to have a snap judgement. Personally Neal I am a huge fan of Fadals and will continue to buy Fadal but I will think harder about buying a reman.

I only post where I can be of help to correct a problem or when I feel that someone has some totally wrong information the NEEDS to be corrected.
    The rest of the time just I'm lurking in the background absorbing what others say and think. It can be very enlightning and educational.

Neal

BTW- let me know if you'd like to tour the factory! :cheers:

About 5 years ago, I went on a tour through the Fadal plant, including the remanufacturing area. I personally saw machines torn down to the castings, and in various stages of assembly. Hard to say if they all get this treatment. I'm not blowing Fadal's horn, in fact i'm very close to buying a new Haas horizontal. I sent email to Fadal asking about a problem with an older machine, and asking for info on their new line of horizontals. They didn't reply.

i have been running a 4020 for about 2 mo. now - new ac motors
    new LCD monitor good running machine very accurate.
    no problems yet

I may take you up on that tour.

I was told that Fadal doesnt tear down those machines but gives them a once over with their measuring equipment and it can cause a nightmare later. Like I said this is hearsay at best but I dont doubt it coming from someone who sells these machines. Not the biggest deal in the world but definately something to think about when your paying a ton for a used machine.

Those Haas salesman will say anything
    J/K

We bought a Reman 4020 (1998 vintage) about 3 years ago, and I went to Chatsworth to see the machine. It'd already been wrapped up for shipment, but it looked every bit a new machine.

Touring the factory I got to see each and every stage of manufacture, and re-manufacture. The place is clean, well laid out, IMHO, and for my money, I'd buy another one.

It's sad for me personally to hear guys say that they've had problems with Fadal. Haas needs competition, and the U.S. needs domestic manufacturers.

Our machine had the controller board go south under warranty and it's was replaced without incident....and we got a pretty decent price on a memory upgrade in the process of replacing it. The few times I've called tech support (which I'm about to do tomorrow morning on an out-of-round pocket milling issue...heads up Neil! ) I've been very pleased with the response.

In short, we got a very nice deal from Fadal on a re-man, we got a very nice machine, and I'd buy another one.

Thanks for the input!

Well guys, I thank all of you for your input. We bought a 4020 reman and it should be delivered 09/17/06. I can't wait for my late Christmas present!!
    All input is good, but I am glad to hear good feedback from the reman crowd.
    This thread is by no means closed, if you have input I will gladly be receptive, although my money is spent, information is power.
    Respectfully,
    James Winn
    Sierra Machining & MFG., LLC

I have had a reman 30x16 for about 1 year now... not one problem..

Eddie Weeks
    http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/

Hello,
    I'm looking to buy a used 1996 4020 w/ 15k rpm spindle. Already looked at the machine and seems in pretty good shape but it was not wired up at the time. Is there any thing I should pay attention to before purchasing? Does anyone have a good source for a technician in the Orlando, FL area that can look at it?

Mark
    Mazworx Mfg

reman

i have a 3 year old reman, it needed new x axis ballscrew (fadal service) i called fadal factory asked them to send me one. gave them serial # to machine was told that they do not keep records of what they put in the machines, they sent me a metric screw, it was wrong. then they said it must have been special made i said by who they dont know, i had machine put back together, i now i use it for roughing and i finish on a mori or a hass, will not by another reman, oh ya also had one of those 104 d things. that was nice. now in the market again, thinking of trying dawoo