586,933 active members*
2,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > Need a solid POST for an OKUMA GENOS or Captain Mill-Turn Lathe

Hybrid View

Re: Need a solid POST for an OKUMA GENOS or Captain Mill-Turn Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    in the operations tree in CWx, if you right clock on a feature, you get an "edit toolpath" option that lets you see each step of the toolpath and make manual changes. itd be nice to confirm that there is no G85 problem there.

it should be fairly easy to locate the code in the post processor text files that actually spits out the G85 NC code. once you are there, you can work backwards and figure out where things are going wrong with the start location.

what post processor and what version of camworks are you using?
    I'm using CWx 2014 SP1.0. Getting ready to upgrade to 2.1, but I'll wait another week or two for someone else to find the major bugs (CWx releases are unreliable in the past few years). I'm using a post processor from a Captain lathe with the same controller as mine. The captain has some features mine doesn't, but that shouldn't affect the things we're talking about here.

I see the edit toolpath option now. You have to click on the sub feature for the given operation to see it. Using the drill rapid error as an example, CWx SHOWS that it is making a rapid move to Z.025 before drilling, but the posted tool path does not include that move. There is a definite disconnect there.

Re: Need a solid POST for an OKUMA GENOS or Captain Mill-Turn Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Japazo View Post
    I'm using CWx 2014 SP1.0. Getting ready to upgrade to 2.1, but I'll wait another week or two for someone else to find the major bugs (CWx releases are unreliable in the past few years). I'm using a post processor from a Captain lathe with the same controller as mine. The captain has some features mine doesn't, but that shouldn't affect the things we're talking about here.

I see the edit toolpath option now. You have to click on the sub feature for the given operation to see it. Using the drill rapid error as an example, CWx SHOWS that it is making a rapid move to Z.025 before drilling, but the posted tool path does not include that move. There is a definite disconnect there.
    I asked about the post processor because I wanted to take a look at it, but my CW is 2001 so I probably dont have it.

Thats good news about the edit toolpath. So Z0.025 is missing from the toolpath. I think you are only a few lines of code away from fixing it.

Can you open up the post processor and locate the G85 routines? It might just be a single section. Or, you might have a section something like "FIRST RAPID Z DOWN" or "RAPID Z DOWN" and such that is the culprit..