587,155 active members*
5,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bar code scanning to load program to controller

I posted the following in the Controller & Computer Solutions, but this forum also seems appropriate and maybe I can get some views here of people that would not check my other thread.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62075

I must preface this request by saying my experience with CNC machines and controllers is extremely limited. My background is in IT and I have had no contact with these technologies till very recently, so I apologize in advance if I make some blunders.

To cut to the chase, our company is studying the possibility of using bar codes to automatically download programs to the CNC machines to reduce setup times and avoid mistakes when typing program names/numbers.

We have over 16 different machines from different companies (colchester, mazak, gildemeister, emco, etc) with different controllers (fanuc, siemens, mazatrol, etc). Our DNC server is Cimco DNC-Max 5.

Not being familiar with this kind of technology, I'm not sure of the best way to go about this. So far I've considered two different options:

Option 1 - Interface with the DNC server to send the program to the machine automatically with a custom built tool. I'm not sure if this is even possible, and it raises the problem that mistakes could cause the program to be sent to the wrong machine. This would allow us however to use the same scanners for other purposes as well, and would be a common solution for all kinds of controller.

Option 2 - Connect the scanners to the controllers and from there automate the loading process. Once again I have no idea how to go about this, though I'm pretty sure it's possible. I assume that since we're using different controllers, it all depends on each individual controller on how to do this, so for each type of controller an individual solution would have to be found. It does have the benefit that you won't be sending programs to the wrong machine.

At this point I'm not sure which way to pursue first, so I ask for some advice from the experienced people in this forum. Any advice at all on this issue would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Pedro Marques

Check out www.predator-software.com

They can interface with 1 or more bar-code readers to request programs from the server.

http://www.machsupport.com/plugins.php

This will work under mach3
    Hey check out my website...www.cravenoriginal.com
    Thanks Marc

Thanks for the replies. Both of those would require switching DNC servers though. Anyone familiar with Cimco DNC-Max 5 that could advise me on this?

I am assuming that DNC is a windows based server....if so I dont see why installing a barcode scanner wouldnt work without hard coding. A scanner is simply a keystoke emulator. here is a site that has a simple example http://www.barcodehq.com/li50wdp.html

All be it I expect that you have tried this... I have used such a scanner on many simular projects, not cnc but keystroke applications.

Bob