587,887 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Using tool diameter for cutter comp

Using tool diameter for cutter comp

Hi, and thanks in advance for any help. Is there a setting in Surfcam Velocity 3 that allows the use of tool diameter (rather than radius) for cutter compensation? It was never an issue when I was running my own shop, since all of our machines (Fadals) were set up to use tool radius. Now I work at a "Mastercam" shop that keeps their machines (also Fadals) set up to use cutter diameter rather than radius. I know how to change it at the machine control, but my employers don't want to take a chance on me forgetting to set it back when I'm finished (wouldn't happen, but hey...their tools, their rules). I personally despise working in Mastercam; for me its kind of like trying to program in Mandarin Chinese...although I can do it if absolutely necessary. The shop allows me to use my seat of Surfcam to write my toolpaths, but having to repost with a different tool definition every time I need to compensate for wear is a royal pain.

Please forgive me if the answer to my question is one of those "right there on page #2 of the manual" things, I'm gettin old.

"Stock To Leave" you can input a negative number. Not sure where else you can compensate in the program. I've found over the years that most carbide tooling runs .0005 to .001 undersize so we use -.0005 on the stock to leave on most everything 2D. If the tool is not cutting to program size we just replace the tool.

I'm confused , Surfcam only can turn on or off cutter compensation G41, G42 , or cancel G40 when writing code.

Then its controlled by the Machine tool control for offset.

I see your changing the machine parameter from Dia to radius, there no software that can change machine parameters in its code.