587,833 active members*
3,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is every SIEG machine the same?

Are all the machines that are made by SIEG for various vendors of the same quality? I know the specs vary slightly between them but should I be looking the specs I need or where I buy?
    The reason i ask is because some people say they love one machine and other hate thiers that they got somewhere else and the prices can be a few hundred more or less depending on where you buy. I was thinking maybe the higher priced machines might be the cream of the crop paid for at a higher price and the other cheaper ones might get what doesnt make the grade or whatever is left over.
    If anyone knows it would help my future machine purchases.

The best all around source of information on the SIEG machines is http://www.mini-lathe.com with the link to mini-mill.
    There are descriptions of most, if not all, vendors and variations.

robotic regards,

Tom
    = = = = =
    Quantum mechanics: the dreams stuff is made of.
    - - unk.

Yeah ive read the content of the site but it doesnt say anything about what i was asking about that I saw.

Re: Is every SIEG machine the same?

Originally posted by july_favre
    The reason i ask is because some people say they love one machine and other hate thiers
    Some people have different standards than others......some people want to start making chips out of the box with these, but that is not recommended.

The construction of the seig machines all use the same iron and the same castings......my 400 dollar speedway mill works and feels just like the 500 dollar grizzly......IMO, there is no difference other than spindle taper and grizzly has nicer wheels. Frank at mini-lathe.com has done a really good job of explaining the differences between the different ones. Also check out littlemachineshop.com, they have some great info on the seig mills as well.

To me they seem like a perfect example you get what you pay for. I rather pay a bit more. It hurts, but in a while it's forgotten. Bad quality will remind you every time you use it. I am willing to admit though that the biggest source of imprecise results is myself and the way I use the tools.

It's like other tools. I have scrapped Bacho, Belzer, Hazet and even worse quality socket sets, but the Stahlville set of socket keys I bought 30 years ago is still doing it's job. If you know you will be using a tool a lot, buy quality. If it's just for occational use, buy cheap. If you don't know, buy cheap and trade for quality if you find out you will use it a lot.

I looked at a small Sieg mill at an exhibition, and in my opinion it was made to a price not to a quality standard. They would not bring any but the best they had, would they?