586,667 active members*
3,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Brass vs Aluminium Vs Steel, questions, questions and questions...

Hybrid View

Hi Rustamd,

Thanks for the reply. When you say brass is not much of structural material, what do you mean by that? Does it have less strength than aluminium? Or it is more expensive hence not worth to use for structural purposes.

As for the speed, I am drilling at roughly 2000rpm with my X2. I don't mind the powdery stuff, I just find that its odd that brass does that when drilled. I have not milled brass yet so I am not sure how hard it is to mill. I am converting my mill to cnc and thats why I am thinking of using brass to do the job. Since the quantity is small, I am not paying an arm and a leg for the materials. Thanks.

Aluminum and Brass are much easier to tap than Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by alexccmeister View Post
    Hi Rustamd,

Thanks for the reply. When you say brass is not much of structural material, what do you mean by that? Does it have less strength than aluminium? Or it is more expensive hence not worth to use for structural purposes.

As for the speed, I am drilling at roughly 2000rpm with my X2. I don't mind the powdery stuff, I just find that its odd that brass does that when drilled. I have not milled brass yet so I am not sure how hard it is to mill. I am converting my mill to cnc and thats why I am thinking of using brass to do the job. Since the quantity is small, I am not paying an arm and a leg for the materials. Thanks.
    Yes, brass has quite a bit less strenght than aluminum.