587,324 active members*
3,502 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Help - Need Gecko Doctor

Help - Need Gecko Doctor

I finally installed 3 gecko 320's in my homemade control system for the new lathemaster mill project. Up to that point in time, the project was progressing slow but definately making headway.
    In preparation for building my control system, I had purchased a small power supply (12 and 5v) and a simple breakout board (BOB) which interfaced my Gecko 320's to the parallel port without any additional components installed (just connectors and PC board).
    I fabricated the control system using a schematic from "the zone" which was simple and easy to follow. The only modification to the circuit was the inclusion of the small power supply which I used to power the system fan (12V) and the gecko's (common (5V)).
    I prepped to test the system on the bench with 3 new servos and encoders as recommended. Well, $%^&*..........Nothing happened with the exception of the cooling fan. It ran fine. I used mach2 (initially) and reviewed the settings (about a 100 times). Switched to mach3 and had the same results. BTW, the mach series of software is outstanding. I'll gladly pay the price for registration once I get the systems functional and recover the financial burden from my many cnc purchases (financially embarrassed again).
    After about a week of rewiring grounds, switching polarities, changing computers, down loading and installing new software, hair pullling and muttering language I thought I had forgotten, I finally found the culprit.
    On page 2 of the 320 manual, there is a statement which I had overlooked.
    It states "The +5VDC is the poto-isolator common anode line and must be returned to the pulse +5VDC source". In my case, the computer itself!!!!! I copped 5V from the power supply and the system started singing like a bird. All of this because I didn't want to run a separate 5V wire from the computer.
    I executed the roadrunner file and 2 of the 3 servos tracked perfectly (at least on the bench).
    Success at last. All that is left is to rebuild the dissassembled sytem and repair one of the Geckos.
    Unfortunately, during the course of my troubleshooting, the gecko fault lamp failed to illuminate. I don't think I shorted any pins and definately didn't see any smoke (of course most likely I did something wrong, language maybe??). I think it got tired of the aggrivation and just quit.
    Now my question, and sorry for the long winded email, is there anything I can do to "reset" the Gecko crowbar circuit. The unit is only a few months old and lived in a drawer up until a week ago (poor thing). I sent an email to gecko but they have not responded at this time. Must be busy but man what good work they do!!!!
    Soooooooooooooo, Help!!! is there a gecko doctor in the house????
    Thanks and Sorry for the crying but glad for the sholder. (X wife is gone and dogs don't care!
    billyjack :wave:

Please return the drive for evaluation. If it's repairable, we'll repair it for free including free return shipping. If it's not repairable, we'll give you the bad news. Include a note describing the problem.

For drives under warrantee, we have a 'one time only, stuff happens' deal. Include a full, written confession on what dumb thing you did to blow up the drive (ran over it with a forklift, applied 480VAC, etc) and we will send a brand new one for free (only once).

I think I can type this in my sleep by now.:-)

Mariss

Mariss

Sorry to create a problem when it doesn't exist but when I get around to buying my 3* 320s sometime in the future, I'm really going to value your support also.

Keep up the good work. I'm sure there is many an amateur like me about to cry help!

Andy

NB Are you planning to retire in the next 12 months... If so, I might have to re-sequence my priorities :devious:

Many Thanks Mariss. Wow, a reply from the man himself and with great news. BTW, I'll send a complete descripion of my actions prior to the unit failure but for the life of me, don't know what happened. I am x air force electronics so, was being very careful. Not because of the Geckos, but because of the twenty amp power supply living in the same box!
    I'll get the unit out today. What help you guys are. Wish you sold cars also.
    billyjack

I sure wish everything in life had a 'free repair and shipping' and a 'stuff happens - free replacement' policy!

Received Repaired (?) Gecko

Time for fess up (if that is a word). I received my 320 back from the great engineers at Gecko with a description of repair. It said "unit incorrectly adjusted" . Sooooooooo, as a lesson learned, the next control cabinet I build is going to have plenty of room to get to the tiny, plastic trim pots in the rear of the Gecko so I can make sure that I'm turning them correctly and not over torqueing them. Sometimes I feel like such an idiot!
    billyjack :wave:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)