587,171 active members*
3,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Makerspace looking for laser cutter recomendations

Hey everyone, I'm with the QC Co-Lab makerspace. We're trying to buy our first laser cutter, and since it's a big purchase for us I'm trying to do some research. Our max budget is about $4000, and the machine will be general use... So for both cutting and engraving. Size and quality is important to us but speed is irrelevant.

We've built some CNC machines from kits, and we just built our first CNC machine from scratch, so construction is an option if there is a lot of money to be saved. We'd like a machine that works with Gcode, as well as something that could work as a printer if possible.

I think the Blacktooth would be perfect for our needs, but they're not available, and I'm not sure when they will be.

Second on my list is the WKLaser LG900N, which seems like a good machine at a good price to me, with a nice large cutting area.

We're also open to the idea of building one, using the guidance at buildlog.net

I've also looked at the lasers at full spectrum, but they're a lot of money for a very small cutting area.

Anybody care to way in with some opinions or recommendations? I'd appreciate the guidance a great deal.

Buy one from Gweike or Shenui... I prefer Shenhui cos I been to their factory and have a few of their machines -... but according to others , the G Weike machines are just as good...take your pick.
    Look at this thread for a LOT more info. It applies to most chinese lasers...follow the links in that thread. You might have to register to see pics , but reg is free.
    Chinese/Shenui/Laserworks tips and tricks thread
    A DIY approach is an option , but I think it will cost you as much as machine that works from day 1 and if you factor in time , a lot more...
    Rodney , Cape Town , South Africa
    www.tokerbros.co.za

Thanks for the reply Rodney. Can you tell me if the lasers you own support Gcode and printing modes? Do you know if they work with linux CNC? That's one big question I have about some of these lasers that I can't find any docs on.

Never used any G code stuff with em , you can import various formats into their drivers. AI, PLT, DXF, BMP, DST, DWG, LAS, DXP and about 10 others...
    Not sure what you mean by printing mode , but if you mean acting like a "dot matrix" type printer - IE scanning from side to side and laying down dots to either engrave or reproduce pictures and graphics , yes they do.
    they support a plotter type operation for cutting and a raster type engraving"printing" mode.
    Rodney , Cape Town , South Africa
    www.tokerbros.co.za

Same here Rodney has covered all the important stuff, I'd echo going with a Weike or Shen machine.

best wishes

Dave

Go with the the Chinese companies.

Give Full Spectrum a miss. Crap product, crap warranty and crap service from the owner.

LG900N picture

Hi Drinkle,
    This is Jenny from Gweike laser.
    We can supply laser machine with different power and working area.
    And all laser machines pass FDA.
    LG900N have following options:\
    auto focus
    red dot pointer
    motorized up/down table.
    USB freature, Software Support our put through coredraw or CAD directly.

And we also can send this machien to your door directly.
    This cost will less than USD900.
    So you can get the machine less than your budget easily.

Hope can get your answer for detailed discussing.
    thanks and regards,
    JENNY
    Jinan G.weike Science&Technology Co.,Ltd
    HP:86-13176446762
    Email: [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lg900-3.JPG   IMG_3999.jpg   IMG_4002.jpg   6103.jpg  

[email protected]