587,691 active members*
3,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hypertherm 1250 problem

Hi, I have 1250 mounted on CNC machine, it works for about 1,5 year ok but now I have problems with kerf angle, arc is unstable, sometimes it is on left side, sometimes on right side, angle can be 7-8 degrees. It is not always, I cut 6mm steel plate with 50Amps and fine cut nozzle, speed is 20mm/m, air is dry and clean, consumables are new. I changed machine torch but the problem is still there. Grounding clamp is on material with clean contact. In device is small pcb on front plate, there is some leds, when it cuts all green is illuminated with two red leds - start and afr, is this normal?

We're running a 1000 hypertherm. It doesn't have the power that your 1650 does. I think that even with the extra power you have, 6mm material is to thick to cut with fine cut consumables. I'd have to use 60 amp consumables to cut 6mm, fine-cut wouldn't even be an option for us. Try slowing your feedrate down considerably, that might help you out. On the other hand, if you slow it down to much make sure you click your THC to manual so the torch doesn't dive into the material.

I'd also give the guys at Hypertherm a call, or look for Jim Colt on this website.

Hope that helps you,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Med-Pac View Post
    We're running a 1000 hypertherm. It doesn't have the power that your 1650 does. I think that even with the extra power you have, 6mm material is to thick to cut with fine cut consumables. I'd have to use 60 amp consumables to cut 6mm, fine-cut wouldn't even be an option for us. Try slowing your feedrate down considerably, that might help you out. On the other hand, if you slow it down to much make sure you click your THC to manual so the torch doesn't dive into the material.

I'd also give the guys at Hypertherm a call, or look for Jim Colt on this website.

Hope that helps you,
    Mike
    Thanks for answering, I cut that material with fine cut nozzle before and it was perfect cut. I have very good THC - Burny Levitator and it work very well. I tryed to slow down feedrate, but no results.

Jim Colt is the Hypertherm expert here. I'm sure he will read your post next time he is logged on. I'm sure he can steer you in the right direction.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

I'm cutting now, arc is always on right side, I fix torch with angle on left side but arc goes on right, like there is some magnet(flame2). I tryed to fix work clamp on different places on table but always is arc with angle on right(flame2)(flame2)

I think that is fixed, problem was in table grounding:cheers:

Hopefully you have solved the problem....poor grounding can certainly cause bad angularity issues. On my machine I have a ground cable attached to the main work clamp connection...that I attach directly to the sheet or plate that I am cutting. This eliminates issues with bad connections between the dirty slats and the plate. Grounding can be an issue once the slats get a lot of slag...or when you are cutting lightweight materials.

Jim Colt