587,098 active members*
5,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Where do I put this thing?

Where do I put this thing?

We're in the process of buying our first machine. I know nothing about cnc so this is going to be a big learning curve to me. I want to prepare an area for the machine and were moving into a new place where my space is 100'x100'.
    My question is where do I put this thing. We will be buying a few printers and printers don't like cnc machines. One is dust friendly and the other NOT. Should I build a seperate room for this new machine? How much noise do they make? Are they electricly friendly? i'm thinking about a "Shop Sabre". It seems to have won over the "Shopbot" in the forums. Any information on How and where to sert this new machine up would be greatly appreciated.

Sal@TKL

Here is what I consider when deciding on a place for anything big and heavy: (not in any particular order)

1. continuity of concrete slab
    2. blockage of doors or pathways (for moving future equipment)
    3. proximity to electrical panel
    4. heat/cooling sources near machine (AC vents, sunlight, etc)
    5. convenience to operate
    6. fire code

As for noise/electricity consumption, that depends on the machine and what you're doing with it.

Our machines are quite loud when roughing, but the roughing cycles don't typically last very long. I believe most of our electricity is being used for air conditioning and not the operation of the two machining centers.

I would say the size of your room is going to be advantageous with a single machine.

-Justin

Something to also consider is security: you will have a lot of valuable stuff in their and need to ensure the area is secure from theft and vandalism... there's noting worse than coming in on a Monday morning to find all your tools trashed, beleive me lol been there.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.