587,687 active members*
3,649 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Another Mill - Haas, Another Tormach, or a Novakon?
Page 6 of 6 456

Hybrid View

Re: Another Mill - Haas, Another Tormach, or a Novakon?

Wish I had the luxury of putting stuff outside. I'm already on the edge of the rules in my town right now, since my shop is in my garage. The way my house is laid out, I can't add anything to my garage, and no more yard to add a shed and bury electrical and air lines. Even if I could, our summer is hot and humid and the winter is crazy cold, so nothing would last.

I don't have a real noise meter so take this with a grain of salt. I downloaded a noise meter app for my android phone and it's supposed to be fairly accurate between 40-80db. I have a American rotary 20 hp phase converter. With the phone 1 inch from the motor I get 65db. 5 feet away I get 55db. It is pretty quiet all things considered. Less then someone talking to you by far. I also tried the meter on a few other things with some surprises. My window unit ac also reads 65db but the volume is that high further away as well as close up. I also have a 3kw Chinese air cooled spindle I checked. At the lowest speed setting (6000 rpm) I get 55db 1 inch from the router. At max speed (18000 rpm) I get 78db 1 inch away. If I walk out of the shop and close the door I get 48 db outside. (cinderblock building with metal roof).If I walk 20 feet from the shop I get 45db and the bugs are louder then the shop. That's with all three things I test inside running at the same time and router at max speed.

Ben

LOL!!!! Somehow I missed getting updates for most of the last page........and I'm so far behind in watching youtube vids that I hadn't seen Brad's vids either. I'm now caught up and understand what's going on!! LOL Have you read my signature?
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

lol Mike, and your last vid was 6 days ago! lets go already!

Ummmm.....I'm trying to let viewers keep up.......uummm...ya....that's what I'm doing..... LOL!!! I'll see what I can do

So the Fanuc Alpha Drivers want 208-230 and my Rotary put out 240-250-240 - So I pulled a capacitor and it's now all about 240, so I just purchased a buck boost transformer to drop it down below 230. Reason is right now my servo's are LOUD, and I read it's from to high voltage, so I'll keep it off until I get it re-wired with the new x-former. It being summer the voltages are low in Iowa, but come Winter I don't want them to spike up and ruin anything.

Here is a video of the lathe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LPnPWEqTo

That's like finding change under the back seat of the used car you buy.

Page 6 of 6 456