587,406 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Pete's Cincinatti arrow 500 Adventure
Page 51 of 56 414950515253
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1101
    Hi I just retrofit an Bridgeport 412 interact at linuxcnc it has an 12 station carousel type atc if the machine behaves Tomorrow morning i will finnish the component i am working for it in about 2 weeks .. If you Are interested. And i would stay away from Windows based "real time" systems in General ..

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Yep, it's nothing really to do with LinuxCNC, I'm just very unfamiliar with it I get a bit frustrated when I don't know how to do something. I love it when I have time but unfortunately I haven't had much free time to jack with it.

You are right, Mach3 freaked out the other day and wasn't following my tool length offsets in the tool table and decided to rip a finger or two off my ATC. This has happened 3 times total, the first two were my fault because I didn't have any/enough air pressure to open the collet, the third time was Mach freaking out.

I've been saying I needed to add an air pressure sensor to her but it I keep putting it off, but I guess now I just need to do it. Let me tell you, my fingers/forks are held on by Two 1/4-20 nylon bolts. You can bend and tear up lots of stuff before those two plastic bolts shear. You wouldn't think so but sure enough, a good day of machine work to fix it.

Richard

Richard,
    Sorry to hear of your toolchanger crashes. You did an awesome job building that thing. Honestly doing this retrofit was MUCH simpler than what you and I had to do to retrofit the RF45 let alone building the toolchanger from scratch. The thing is of course this machine was already a CNC and already had all the sensors including the low air pressure sensor and everything else. I just had to determine if they are working fine and clean everything up and then go ahead and wire it into the new boards. It still needs some tweaks but so far it is working well. I am having some small amount of trouble getting my Tool length offsets to setup right and we think it has something to do with the fact that we setup the machine as a metric native core setup since it has metric screws and went to inch in some settings instead of just keeping it metric and allowing it to display inch. We will be tweaking that soon tho and it does not keep me from using the machine accurately I just need to be aware of the offsets that are selected and make sure they make sense. Really no different than if there was not an issue you STILL gotta keep on top of things before you hit the big green button. Also we installed a build version of LinuxCNC on my machine instead of the latest stable release to be able to use a certain feature and that may have not been the best idea. I may revert back to the stable version here just to avoid any potential issues. So far tho the machine runs EVERY TIME and behaves as it is expected to. I simply could not say that about Mach3 even on its best days.

Been playing with CamBam lately and it seems to be pretty sweet for the money. I really can do most of my stuff with sheetcam but I was missing the 3d toolpaths and the ability to do some of that kind of stuff so I downloaded CamBam and these parts were made entirely with it. Code worked exactly as expected every time once I got the post processor setup for linuxCNC the way I need it. Their stock LinuxCNC post is really simplistic and does not even have a tool retract to get the tool out of the work after a MOP. Once I got some of the things I needed setup in the post which is pretty easy it works pretty damn nice. Now I did notice yesterday that I need to add an G53 G0 Z0 to bring the cutter out of the work at the END of the program but that is just a simple footer change. They are also working on some really cool stuff like Trochoidal toolpaths and threadmilling and tapping cycles some of which are already implemented in the latest release.

Today I hope to finish up this project and get it over to the lathe so I can add the profiles to the face. I would do it in CamBam but I am just not that confident in the 3d stuff just yet with CamBam only due to my inexperience with 3d. I will be experimenting with it as I am able to get a hang of things then I will try some projects with it. As you can see from the post by Tkamster there is yet ANOTHER commercial machine running linuxCNC a Bridgeport Interact 412 that is getting toolchanger control setup. Good luck buddy.

Tkamster,
    I would be interested to hear how you get on with your setup. I am nearly ready to start that myself once I get the spindle encoder mount built. With the machine working so well I just need to finish the drawing and put cutter to metal here. Already got the encoder here just need to get off my ass and do it. Peace

Pete

Hi I spent today 5 hours ..
    Y axis fine the XP PC where the servo configs Software Resides cost me a lot of time the x axis diver is doa .. so we have to spend more time in the factory to fix all that meanwhile i have an exactely similar System at home which I use for implement the component for atc.
    But the owner of the machine needs to Order New spindle Motor any way so Everything is ok .. Thomas

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Okay folks,
    Been working at my daughter's house installing new flooring. I HATE installing flooring but we almost got it done. My daughter was so happy with it she surprised me by buying me some toolholders for the machine she knew I desperately needed so I am pretty happy right now. I also have been having what I thought was a problem with my linuxCNC setup. Could not get the tool length offsets to work correctly the way I wanted them to. Well after several days of monkeying with it and some very kind help from the folks on the LinuxCNC IRC we figured out I was not getting my fixture offset for the tool length setup correctly so once I did that and deleted the tool table and started over I was able to get perfectly accurate offsets that work in programs like they should. Very happy about that. So tonight I was able to setup the new holders with tools including my LED edge finder I have been unable to use because I did not have a toolholder for it and got the tools setup correctly. Tomorrow I should be able to just load tools and setup part and go. Been thinking on the toolchanger too recently and how best to implement the switches and solenoids into the mesa cards etc. still got more thinking to do there but it is starting to come together. The machine continues to impress me with accuracy and precision and I am really starting to get the hang of LinuxCNC as far as running the machine and touching off etc. It really is a great control and so far dead reliable. talking with the folks on the IRC chat it seems there is more than one way to get the toolchanger running. I am anxious but apprehensive about doing it. Lots can go wrong unfortunately so I gotta be real careful. Now that the machine itself is working properly and reliably I can concentrate on the spindle feedback first then move onto getting the toolchanger functions working one at a time then see about how to program it.

Got some more parts to machine for a fellow here and he just asked me about another product and is sending me something to work off of. Hopefully we can design the new part and get it machined quickly now that I feel good about the machine and control. Been using CamBam here lately and the program for the part I posted pics of was done entirely in CamBam. So far so good and I am just learning the basics of it. Lots of neat stuff can be done with the software I hope to be able to take advantage of it soon. Oh well that is all that is going on here just pluggin' along trying to get rolling. Peace

Pete

Okay folks..
    Been working steadily on the machine projects here and got another one coming in sometime about tuesday. Hopefully I can make what it is for the guy and get some more work. I managed to finish that second wheel design and got it machined. The VMC is working really well right now I am pleased. The Toolchanger is still not retrofit but I am working with a fellow on the IRC chat who is good with this stuff to get the programming sorted out. Anyways here is a photo of then last wheel off the machine. I think it came out pretty damn nice. Still needs some more deburring in the contours but not bad eh? Peace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140213_155346.jpg  

Hey Buddy;
    Snowed in yet?
    I have no idea what that thing is but it sure is purty! Did you do the cad?
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Bill,
    LOL yeah man we got like six inches or so here. I did draw it in Cad and did everything from start to finish. I think it came out pretty nice and I am very pleased to have some tooling here now to setup. Traded my daughter installing flooring in her whole house for a bunch of toolholders. My knees are still sore as hell but she is happy and her house looks great and I got some toolholders without having to reach into my pocket LOL. Took 16 hours to install all that flooring I HATE Flooring work hehe...

Saw your cool guitar man that is sweet. I like that 3d dragon too did you design it? Peace

Pete

Very Nice Pete!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    Anyways here is a photo of then last wheel off the machine. I think it came out pretty damn nice. Still needs some more deburring in the contours but not bad eh? Peace

Thanks man.. Getting somewhere with this machine finally LOL... peace

Pete

Damn Pete, it looks like you have things finally going your way!

Slowlearner,
    Thanks man yeah the machine is very nice now and I am enjoying using it. Still need to work on the toolchanger but It is getting there. I am actively trying to find good paying work for the machine now that I can rely on it making a quality part. Ran out of Tee slot nuts today when I tried to bolt down my three jaw chuck to the mill table to machine some custom bosses in the mill and wound up making some extras from some steel barstock I had here. New ER32 cat40 holder brand new carbide four flute rougher and the machine went thru the steel like a hot knife thru butter. Amazing the difference between this and my Old RF45... Funny thing is it made no more noise than a similar pass in aluminum. I ran it at like 1500 RPM. Really nice to see the rigidity this thing has. I am gonna enjoy doing steel now instead of cringing when it cuts LOL... Peace

Pete

How big is that wheel? Nothing to reference its size from.
    A lazy man does it twice.

The one I just posted pictures of is approximately 6" across. Peace

Pete

Still Kickin' here...

Been running the machine making some parts. Yesterday I machined a custom adapter plate for my pal Connor for his rotary table to mount his three jaw chuck and he has been helping me get the software updated in the machine. We are currently working on switching to a modbus spindle control setup in linuxCNC so we can have some nice features like Load metering and other inputs. Got an RS232-RS485 adapter on its way. Also working on a neat design for an automated tool touch off probe I came up with. Drew it in 3d cad and waiting on parts to get here for it. I have been designing some more custom parts for the shooting sports and hope to be machining them soon as I get the drawings finalized. Still actively looking for some long term contract work in light to medium production for the machine.

I am enjoying the linuxCNC thing, it is real nice control and so far DEAD reliable. The guys on the IRC are super nice and helpful with lots of things. I am really glad I found my way in there. Lots of smart knowledgeable folks in there. Still working on the spindle feedback encoder mount design but have been busy with other things. Hopefully I can machine it soon and get it mounted up. Getting Acquainted with CamBam too got the Post processor tweaked pretty good and so far the code it posts is perfect to what I ask of it. Made several parts with it so far and it is simple and fast. Machined some more of those wheels here and trying to get some sold. Here are some current pics I shot yesterday of them. Peace

Man those parts look amazing!! Nice job.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Thanks Fannblade.... I am pleased you like them. Working on some more cool stuff here but I could really use some contract type work for the machine. It certainly is capable now LOL... How's your Hurc build comin' ? Peace

Pete

Can't seem to get enough money together at one time......I know you know what I mean!! LOL One day though......
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Yeah man I hear ya... Finding cash for this stuff is NOT easy... Good luck. Peace

Pete

Nice parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JC,
    Hey man thanks appreciate it. Trying to find some work for this machine so I can start paying myself back for all the money and time I invested in it so far LOL... Got a couple ideas for my own projects like this one but looking for some contract work too. I will try to post the next parts I am working on so you folks can see what the machine can do. Not bad I guess.... Peace

Pete

Page 51 of 56 414950515253