587,189 active members*
2,816 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone using HSMWorks Express with Tormach Personal CNC 1100?
Page 4 of 5 2345
    Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Never mind my last question. I hope that NexGenCam has taken good care of you ?
    Absolutely! Support through the HSMWorks forum, and off-line from some of the guys both there and here, has been fantastic. It enabled me to do a complete custom POST that does everything I wanted, with really minimal tome and effort, and I couldn't be happier with HSMXpress. I just feel bad I got such a terrific product, and such great support, without paying anything! An HSMWorks license will be high on my list of things to buy once I start actually making money with my new business.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray,
    So you know the cost you are stating is not correct but like you stated it is worth every penny. I am sure we will be talking soon.
    All I know is I am glad you folks are finding the free version to be a good CAM tool. I promise to bring you folks allot more help here and on the other HSMWorks forum over the next few years for sure.

rlockwood, Your help here is really appreciated more then you know. As HSMWorks continues to grow the time you take to help will mean more then you know.

I have to finish this 5axis part that needs to go on a machine tomorrow so I will pop in to see it is going.

Jayson at NexGenCAM West
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

WotDesigns,
    Your thought you posted earlier ( I am trying to use it to evaluate and compare to MC-X5.) if you have questions about differences or thoughts about the two software's please feel free to contact me so I can share the differences. I have over 25 years of MC experience. you can see me on the Mastercam forum area on this forum.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I have seen you there many times and you helped me with both MC-x5 and MC4SW which we didn't bother with after trial. Not enough power to configure and generated to many work around solutions.

Still playing around and going to test on customer parts next week. Am I missing a transform option somewhere? I program almost exclusively one part and transform to the rest. I can hand code the offsets with sub call, -G55, sub call, but that requires having to hand edit all code output which is less than efficient so I'm sure there's a better way.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    I have seen you there many times and you helped me with both MC-x5 and MC4SW which we didn't bother with after trial. Not enough power to configure and generated to many work around solutions.

Still playing around and going to test on customer parts next week. Am I missing a transform option somewhere? I program almost exclusively one part and transform to the rest. I can hand code the offsets with sub call, -G55, sub call, but that requires having to hand edit all code output which is less than efficient so I'm sure there's a better way.

Brian
    WOT Designs
    Near the bottom of the job setup page you'll find an option for 'multiple work offsets'

Check that, and then increase the upper dialog count.. Will then duplicate the code for additional work offsets.

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Ray,
    So you know the cost you are stating is not correct but like you stated it is worth every penny. I am sure we will be talking soon.

Jayson at NexGenCAM West
    Jayson,

No, I didn't know that.... I though I had gotten a price in that range from someone, but I guess I'm getting senile faster than I thought! :-) Sorry! How about giving a ballpark number to correct me? I spent a lot of time looking at many different CAM options around first of the year, so I could easily have things confused at this point.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The numbers I saw right on their website was $7,500 and something about a rental for $2400/yr iirc. Normally I wouldn't state someone's price, but when they have it on their site it's kind of public info. Perhaps an even better deal could be had via a local dealer though.

****EDIT: I think the numbers I saw were for out of country via AutoDesk. I will have to talk to a local rep to get an idea on pricing here. Rental would be easier up front, but I cant find any info on how that works.

Honestly once I get the xpress down I'll trial the Works and doubt there's much it could do wrong to stop me from buying. It makes programming enjoyable.

Using MC I sometimes feel like I'm typing into the War Games movie computer from the 80s. Powerful and able to do more than I need but the GUI is the worst of any program I use.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Yep, somewhere around 40 hours a week for nearly two years now. =)

WOT, most all of the parts I program make use of the 'carrier concept' and I have hundreds of examples in HSMWorks. Unfortunately, I can't really share them, ITAR, company property, etc.

I'll take a minute to discuss how I setup a part, though..

Start your machining assembly by placing the part and fix it in place.

I always define my stock by building a solid, so next I insert a virtual component, open it up, and sketch my block size. Move back to the assembly, mate the stock solid in place in reference to the part.

I also keep a couple separate 'template' assemblys that include the vise i'm planning on using, and the jaws i'm planning to use. Insert this and mate it in place to the stock.

I find creating a solidworks work coordinate system to be the most controlled method of defining WCS, so create one and define your zero point and axis directions.

Go into configurations tab, name your default one "operation 1" or similar, mark the 'link display states to configuration' button.

Go into HSMw/x tab and make a job, select all the model, stock, fixtures, wcs, etc.

Program your part.

When its time for the second op, create a new configuration "operation 2", hide the operation 1 components in the new configuration, input a new vise template, etc.

I try and keep fixtures as virtual components, too. Makes it easier to manage.. so make a new virtual component for your fixture, mate it in place to the vise and reference it to your part. If its a soft jaw, use 'convert entities' on a sketch to create the pocket profile (important, AFTER mating the fixture in place.)

Rinse & repeat.

By working this way, you can quickly and easily switch between all of the relevant components in your various operations, everything exists within one main assembly.. etc.
    That makes a lot more sense than what I was trying. I believe I followed you though I will have to google virtual component as I am not familiar with the term but may already have used them without knowing it. I was rotating the part in the same set up which was challenging. It makes much more sense to hide the vice/table/travel set up for Job 1 and just bring in another for job 2 and add the un-cut soft jaws. My soft jaws are never nice square parts like the pictures either, but usually have enough shape to locate the part accurately. Looking forward to playing with programming in the assembly instead of the part.

Another big plus is the video documentation for HSMWorks. Pretty sad more companies don't seem to think you should not have to buy a picture/project book to figure out their software and force you to pay a 3rd party just to make sense of their software. I love googling a question and up pops a hand youtube video showing in clear detail how to do things like chain multiple levels for a contour. Spent 40 minutes trying to figure it out. Video showed me in 2. Brilliant.

Ha... um, so now is there a way to import all the jobs I did in the part into the Assembly that was already made without having to re-select everything like I did when I went from the assembly to the part to program already? I think I just copied and pasted the jobs and it worked but lost all the references.

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Ha... um, so now is there a way to import all the jobs I did in the part into the Assembly that was already made without having to re-select everything like I did when I went from the assembly to the part to program already? I think I just copied and pasted the jobs and it worked but lost all the references.
    Nope, you be screwed. :-) I went through the same thing when I started using HSMXpress. It will preserve everything but the geometry selections, so it's not too bad.

Regards,
    Ray L.

No biggie. Fortunately it's only 2 jobs. I'll go start clicking

Brian
    WOT Designs

Can HSMWorks or HSMXpress be easily used with Geomagic (aka Alibre) files? An integrated solution would be ideal, but manual imports of standard CAD file formats could be usable, too.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Can HSMWorks or HSMXpress be easily used with Geomagic (aka Alibre) files? An integrated solution would be ideal, but manual imports of standard CAD file formats could be usable, too.

Mike
    No. HSMXpress and HSMWorks work only with Solidworks and Inventor. They are integrated into the CAD application (one of the reasons they are so high-functioning - they have full access to the CAD model data), and cannot be used separately. Inventor LT is "only" around $1000, and that is a bargain price to get HSMXpress, compared to any other CAM product I've seen.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Also, CAM360 if you can deal with the user interface.. Free 2.5D, cheap 3 axis and 5 axis..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    No. HSMXpress and HSMWorks work only with Solidworks and Inventor.
    Thanks. If I change CAD at all, it will probably be to SW. From what you've written, I think Inventor/LT would be too limited for my needs.

BTW, did you ever look at OneCNC for CAM?

Mike

Thanks. If I change CAD at all, it will probably be to SW. From what you've written, I think Inventor/LT would be too limited for my needs.

BTW, did you ever look at OneCNC for CAM?

Mike
    Looked at it only briefly. My impression is it's very expensive. For me, an important issue was integration with the CAD. For near universal interchange with other people, Solidworks is the clear leader. HSMXpress being free also was a huge selling point, along with the upgrade to HSMWorks when/if I need 3D.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Absolutely! Support through the HSMWorks forum, and off-line from some of the guys both there and here, has been fantastic. It enabled me to do a complete custom POST that does everything I wanted, with really minimal tome and effort, and I couldn't be happier with HSMXpress. I just feel bad I got such a terrific product, and such great support, without paying anything! An HSMWorks license will be high on my list of things to buy once I start actually making money with my new business.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Same here! I talked to the nextgen guys about that... They go from a very good free product to a bit better one I can't afford. Better stock simulation and 4th axis indexing and I'd pay some reasonable money for it.. they kinda leave us hobby guys wanting, but also give up some free money for a decent product.. curious condition. Nice folks, and support by nextgen and directly on the forums is very good for the most part.

Looked at it [OneCNC] only briefly. My impression is it's very expensive. For me, an important issue was integration with the CAD. For near universal interchange with other people, Solidworks is the clear leader. HSMXpress being free also was a huge selling point, along with the upgrade to HSMWorks when/if I need 3D.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I was quoted on OneCNC a few years back and the medium version (4th axis) seemed fairly comparable to to HSMWorks, assuming the price you mentioned upthread was close to actual. More money than HSMWorks but not multiples more. That was a few years back, though, so maybe the prices are a lot different now.

I agree that integration might be essential (the lack hasn't been a major problem for me) but it also means there is no way for me to trial HSMWorks without also trialing SW or Inventor and time is tight for me.

Mike

I was quoted on OneCNC a few years back and the medium version (4th axis) seemed fairly comparable to to HSMWorks, assuming the price you mentioned upthread was close to actual. More money than HSMWorks but not multiples more. That was a few years back, though, so maybe the prices are a lot different now.

I agree that integration might be essential (the lack hasn't been a major problem for me) but it also means there is no way for me to trial HSMWorks without also trialing SW or Inventor and time is tight for me.

Mike
    Michael,

FWIW - The Inventor trial is easy - you just download it, install, it, and play away for 30 days. You can be up and running within the hour if you have a fast Internet connection. Solidworks also was pretty painful, though you have to go through a local VAR to get the download key. Both downloads do take a while - they're about 8Gb. If you've used any modern 3D CAD, you'll find both very easy - I was creating parts within an hour, and comfortable with both within just a few hours. HSMWorks eval is also painless - just download and run. Again, you can by up and running within an hour. You can easily have all three up and running within a day - most of that time waiting for Solidworks to get back to you after you request an eval. Solidworks retail is $4K for "Standard". Inventor LT is only about $1K, and is great, except it does not do assemblies, which I considered a must-have. Also, at present, the HSMXpress implementation on Inventor is not as full-featured as the Solidworks one, but will catch up before long. Full Inventor is about $4500 - a little more than Solidworks. The Inventor UI is significantly better, more modern and stable, than Solidworks, IMHO. Functionally, both are very similar, and both surprisingly easy to learn and use. As pointed out earlier, the price I gave for full HSMWorks was way off - I can only plead senility. I believe actual price is considerably higher, but still very competitive, and very much worth it if you're doing 3D. All it takes is an e-mail to get a quote on all three.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray - the download and install are no problem. It's finding the time before the trial expires to actually use them enough to know if I want to plunk down money on them that is the problem. Especially since Alibre (err, Geomagic) mostly works just fine for what I need to do and on a good day, SprutCAM is the same. It's the bad SprutCAM days that have me wondering about alternatives. Frankly, SW + HSMWorks for $10k (my guesstimated total price) is just too much buck for the bang for my situation and disposable income.

Mike

Page 4 of 5 2345