587,133 active members*
3,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Computer Technology > Computers / Desktops / Networking > Have High Speed Modem, and Dial up Using Router
Page 3 of 3 123

Arrow

I believe the problem is solved with the intruder. (wedge) The connection is still slow but I guess this is the way it is. This site and a few others come up pretty fast but others are very slow.

BTW: Now using Firefox Web Browser on Desk Top and soon Lap Top.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

You need to enable your WEP on the wireless, a min. of 64bit encription, this will lock your wireless and without the WEP key they can not access your wireless portion of your router. you just simply type the WEP key when connecting with your system.

2006cnc,

The WEP encription is on 64bit. 64bit mainly because 128bit will slow the encription too much. Right now a VPN setup is looking really nice, but very expensive. The best part about a VPN is that no matter where you are you always have internet access. Unless I read it wrong. Thanks for the reply and if you have additional information on VPN PM me.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    2006cnc,

The WEP encription is on 64bit. 64bit mainly because 128bit will slow the encription too much. Right now a VPN setup is looking really nice, but very expensive. The best part about a VPN is that no matter where you are you always have internet access. Unless I read it wrong. Thanks for the reply and if you have additional information on VPN PM me.
    A VPN is a tunnel on the internet, which communicate with each other via IP address, you need a dynamic ip address at both ends, unless you use a program and service called no-ip dot com, which always updates your static ip address to their website and you direct the other end there to retreave it, I used it with two dsl mdems with static ip addresses before.

I setup a VPN at work and connect to my resourses at work from home.

If you have the WEP enabled and the hex key made then you should not have anyone connecting to your network at all.

connect your computer directly to the modem and test your speed. you should be atleast 2 meg or above for broad band. Pick the closest connection to you and you can try other ones to see how long it takes to transfer, it also depends on where on the internet backbone your ISP is connected.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Quote Originally Posted by 2006cnc
    connect your computer directly to the modem and test your speed. you should be atleast 2 meg or above for broad band. Pick the closest connection to you and you can try other ones to see how long it takes to transfer, it also depends on where on the internet backbone your ISP is connected.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    I get 18900kbps through my Linksys.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Linksys is in the Garbage. The Nice Hacker decided to kick me off my network. So being that everything was properly set and encriptions where used he was still able to hack into a Linksys this isn't the right Router Network Equipment for me. If you are still using Linksys BEWARE your connection isn't safe even if your not using wireless functions www.netstumbler.com tells the tail of Linksys anouncing 3 ways to Hack the most Secure Linksys Routers and Switches. Hackers with the right software and little knowledge can Hack your network no matter how safe you think you are. Even VPN (Virtual Private Networks) aren't safe. I've never read any complaints about NetGear but I'm quite sure they have their problems too. With now 6 Firewalls in each of my computers and the fact I don't leave the PC's on 24/7 plus unplug the modem when not in use I feel safer.
    If any thing I'll wait until I can get a software that disables a Hackers Computer if they attempt to get in. Till then one PC at a time is good enough.
    My Internet Connection isn't Free for me, what the Hell makes them so special.
    :boxing:

http://www.netstumbler.com/2006/07/1...lnerabilities/
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    I get 18900kbps through my Linksys.
    I did this test 4 times and got 4 different results.

1) Download 8523Kbps Upload 1644 Kbps
    2) 11393 Kbps 1779 Kbps
    3) 12052 Kbps 1692 Kbps
    4) 11153 Kbps 1636 Kbps

No Linksys Crap, just Motorola SB4200 SURFboard Cable Modem New York Area. How accurate is this test? On Optimum it gets like 15Mbps Downstream and 2.3Mbps Upstream. If I get the upgrade to Optimum Boost 30Mbps Donstream and 5Mbps Upstream www.optonline.net
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 3 of 3 123