587,131 active members*
3,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine
Page 22 of 73 1220212223243272
    Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Yes, I just found that! What do the different colors in the machined areas mean? When I do an outside profile cut, the machined face ends up mostly green with gray stripes and splotches on it.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    that means you machined up to your model. when the stock and model face are in the same area the colors sort of blend like that, its a graphics thing

Also, colors are different tools or operations.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Well.... It's never quite as easy as it seems, is it? Been using Inventor/HSMXpress for about a week now, and totally, 100% sold on HSMXpress. It is really wonderful. I created a custom POST that does everything I need, and works around a few minor HSMWorks features that are not yet implemented in HSMXpress (but will be soon). The POST facility in HSMWorks/HSMXpress is far and away the best I've ever seen, and gives you tremendous flexibility.

Unfortunately, I discovered to my horror that the "affordable" version of Inventor - Inventor LT - does NOT include ANY capability to build assemblies. It allows you to build only parts. I had somehow managed to miss that, as I was using the full Inventor demo. In my defense, I will say the Autodesk web site absolutely SUCKS, making it very difficult to find clear information about exactly what each product contains. And Inventor LT, in particular seems to be almost hidden, like they really don't WANT you to find out too much about it.

The Inventor version that does support assemblies is roughly $5K. Gulp! After thinking about it, I expect I will almost certainly bite the bullet and spring for a copy of Solidworks Standard for about $3900, which has many nice modeling features even the $5K Inventor does not have. It also has FEA capability, and the ability to build "driven" assemblies and generate animations. About the only significant feature it doesn't have is photo-rendering, which is not very important to me. For complex projects like the PDB and ATC, I've found the ability to model the whole system is really priceless, so I'm convinced I'll get my money's worth out of the purchase. And I just can't live without HSMXpress at this point.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I really like the Solidworks HSMXpress combo. As a long time SW user this was perfect for me.

Steve

I agree if it is what it sounds like. A CAD package should be able to put all the parts together into an assembly to insure that everything fits. Without that, what do you really have?
    Lee

I didnt know inventor was that expensive. All the software companies are crappy about detailing out what functionality is included with which module. Seems to be SOP in hopes that a value added resaler can add more value to themselves in sellibg you what they say you need.

Rob and I are much better help in the Solidworks version anyway.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Solidworks is great for that. We design equipment with thousands of parts. And many times our assemblies are setup such to mimic many of the movements we expect. Great for checking interferences or complex mechanisms.
    Being able to do that and then use HSMXpress at the cnc is awesome. Since both remain parametric it is simple to update or create a new design based on an existing design. We have been using SW since mid 90's.

Steve

I love solidworks to death, and especially the Solidworks/HSMworks combination.. But I still REALLY encourage you to take a look at Fusion360/Cam360. Total yearly fees would right around the cost of Solidworks maintenance alone, and you'd be getting HSMWorks level CAM, rather than Xpress level. Plus, no initial costs at all. Post processors and CAM are virtually identical across the three, and make sure to get a quote on HSMWorks, as eventually you'll want to upgrade.

Obviously, SW has some huge benefits too. But consider all of your options. Fusion/Cam360 is looking ALOT more cost effective at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    I love solidworks to death, and especially the Solidworks/HSMworks combination.. But I still REALLY encourage you to take a look at Fusion360/Cam360. Total yearly fees would right around the cost of Solidworks maintenance alone, and you'd be getting HSMWorks level CAM, rather than Xpress level. Plus, no initial costs at all. Post processors and CAM are virtually identical across the three, and make sure to get a quote on HSMWorks, as eventually you'll want to upgrade.

Obviously, SW has some huge benefits too. But consider all of your options. Fusion/Cam360 is looking ALOT more cost effective at the moment.
    Fusion is interesting, but I have two problems with it: First, it is beta software, so pretty much guaranteed to be buggy. Second, it is "cloud-based", which I hate. I live in the sticks, and out Internet service is not great. Last thing I need is to be unable to work because our ISP is having a bad day. And while it may be cheap now, I have to wonder what it will cost when it becomes a real product. Note also the current version is for non-commercial use only, and I need something I can use for for designing commercial products.

I have installed it, and will play with it. But, so far, I'm not real keen on the UI. It's pretty sluggish, and seems nowhere near as intuitive as Inventor, or Solidworks. But, we'll see.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Fusion is interesting, but I have two problems with it: First, it is beta software, so pretty much guaranteed to be buggy. Second, it is "cloud-based", which I hate. I live in the sticks, and out Internet service is not great. Last thing I need is to be unable to work because our ISP is having a bad day. And while it may be cheap now, I have to wonder what it will cost when it becomes a real product. Note also the current version is for non-commercial use only, and I need something I can use for for designing commercial products.

I have installed it, and will play with it. But, so far, I'm not real keen on the UI. It's pretty sluggish, and seems nowhere near as intuitive as Inventor, or Solidworks. But, we'll see.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I can agree to all of that. I dont think you're making a bad decision at all going with SW, its a fantastic fit for anyone who designs and produces their own products. Also, as Jared pointed out, community support is currently a LOT stronger on the solidworks side, and its far more feature complete.

You guys know anything about Solidworks pricing? Looks to me like nobody discounts it at all, but I'd at least like to find an out-of-state reseller, so I don't have to pay sales tax (which will add almost $400 around here....).

Regards,
    Ray L.

I bought my copy of SolidWorks from the SolidCAM people. One way or another they sold me a version that was a little less than Standard. As I recall it was everything except the Drawing package. I have since purchased the Drawing package separately (for some reason) and I've probably only used it for an hour total. I guess people use it to create blueprints or something... I really don't know. I'm sure it's very useful for some people, but for me it's basically gone unused. Taking out the Drawing package might be a very good way to save several hundred dollars.

Every now and then SolidWorks would throw up an error that basically informed me that the Drawing module didn't open or somethin', but to the best of my recollection it never prevented me from using the rest of SolidWorks.

Here's a video of someone using the Drawing portion of SolidWorks.
    SolidWorks 2D Drawing creation demonstration - YouTube

Bobcad had a OEM version they where selling for $2995 I am not sure of the difference.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Donald

The consensus for me is that it's somewhere in the 4k range - but that may include features that a "standard" version does not; what exactly they are? Not sure completely...considering their are many add-on capabilities.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Before HSMWorks got bought by autodesk, they sold the "stripped down" version as well, I believe its missing a lot more than just drawings, most of the simulation stuff was gone as well.

I've always heard they have very fixed pricing, we have something like 12 seats, and I'm fairly sure we paid full price for every one.

I have checked with SW a couple times in the past and they were closer to 5K. One seat. Small business sob story was absolutely no help.
    I did consider taking a college course or two just to get in and start learning it with the Student version, but then I would get hit with the full price at some point.
    Turbocad does everything I need it to so, so I won't be seated on Solid Works. Some people simply were not meant to drive a Roll's.
    Lee

We payed around 5k as I recall. Yearly maintenance is 1500.

One thing that I do notice quite a few different software companies doing now is a monthly membership type thing.
    Rather than buy the software outright, you pay a monthly fee. Then when a new version comes out, you get it as long as your membership is current. Corel Draw comes to mind.
    I had version 12. It did not play nicely with the 64 bit Win 7.
    There is no update from 12 to X6. They do have that type membership plan. I chose instead to buy a new in box X4 copy off Ebay. 12 did upgrade to X4. No problem.
    Now if I want, I could upgrade to X6 from X4, but X4 works fine on m machine. Corel Draws price is much more affordable anyway than Solid Works though.

Still, if SW offered a monthly membership for say $50 to $75, I would jump on it. That is something I can easily afford. They in turn would be making money off the very same product at no extra cost to them and likely would earn a lot more customers that way.
    Lee

Standard Solidworks is $3995 and yearly maint is $1295.
    Professional SW is $5,995 and premium is $7,995
    Yearly maint. Provides all the updates and support.

We use the standard version which has all the required features for design and detailing. We have 40-50 seats and do not get any discounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So, you buy the software and then have to immediately pay for maint. Or is that for the second year?
    What a concept really. One of the few products that you have to pay extra to get a warranty.

Say that you do not get the annual maint. Can you still use the seat that for a few years?
    Lee

Page 22 of 73 1220212223243272