587,744 active members*
2,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine
Page 21 of 73 1119202122233171
    Just a heads-up for anyone shopping for CAD/CAM - I've been using Alibre/GeoMagic Design for a while, and fine it pretty nice, if a bit quirky. A few weeks ago I sprung for a copy of AlibreCAM/VisualMill for GeoMagic. I've spent the last two weeks struggling with it, finding bug after bug, and a remarkable number of features that are so poorly implemented as to be virtually useless. Their concept of "automatic feed/speed calculation" is downright laughable. Last night, I finally threw in the towel, and asked for a refund, which they are giving me.

I downloaded the free, full-function 30-day demo of Autodesk Inventor, and their free CAM add-on, HSMXpress. After just a few hours use, I can see that Inventor is a very powerful CAD system, and quite easy to learn. In fact, it is amazing how similar it is to Alibre/GeoMagic. HSMXpress is in a whole different league from AlibreCAM - MUCH more powerful, better toolpath generation, and also quite easy to use. Overall, this looks like a great combination, and at a very reasonable price.

I'll provide more feedback in a few weeks, once I'm really up to speed on it all.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Just a heads-up for anyone shopping for CAD/CAM - I've been using Alibre/GeoMagic Design for a while, and fine it pretty nice, if a bit quirky. A few weeks ago I sprung for a copy of AlibreCAM/VisualMill for GeoMagic. I've spent the last two weeks struggling with it, finding bug after bug, and a remarkable number of features that are so poorly implemented as to be virtually useless. Their concept of "automatic feed/speed calculation" is downright laughable. Last night, I finally threw in the towel, and asked for a refund, which they are giving me.

I downloaded the free, full-function 30-day demo of Autodesk Inventor, and their free CAM add-on, HSMXpress. After just a few hours use, I can see that Inventor is a very powerful CAD system, and quite easy to learn. In fact, it is amazing how similar it is to Alibre/GeoMagic. HSMXpress is in a whole different league from AlibreCAM - MUCH more powerful, better toolpath generation, and also quite easy to use. Overall, this looks like a great combination, and at a very reasonable price.

I'll provide more feedback in a few weeks, once I'm really up to speed on it all.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Ray,

Thanks for another data point. Jason (SpeedCustoms) also recommended HSMXpress. I haven't played with it but it's going to be the first thing I try out. I have SolidWorks and it integrates with that as well. Do you know if you can load a fixture plate assembly into it? I know AlibreCAM can do that.

Regards,

Nate

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com
    Fine Line Automation

Check out Fusion CAM360 ray; its still in beta, but if you can get in.. Same CAM as HSMWorks, basic modeling is included..

I believe the 2.5D version will be ENTIRELY free, INCLUDING the basic Fusion modeler.

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    Ray,

Thanks for another data point. Jason (SpeedCustoms) also recommended HSMXpress. I haven't played with it but it's going to be the first thing I try out. I have SolidWorks and it integrates with that as well. Do you know if you can load a fixture plate assembly into it? I know AlibreCAM can do that.

Regards,

Nate

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation

Nate,

AlibreCAM handles fixtures plate only in the (much!) more expensive versions. The base version ($1250), is really crippled in terms of work positioning, among other things. It does not support multiple parts, and does not even allow you to shift the fixture offset - it's stuck where it is in the part design. I wrote my own post-post-processor that allows me output G-code for multi-part fixtures, and locate the parts any way I like, so the CAM neither knows nor cares that there is more than one part.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Check out Fusion CAM360 ray; its still in beta, but if you can get in.. Same CAM as HSMWorks, basic modeling is included..

I believe the 2.5D version will be ENTIRELY free, INCLUDING the basic Fusion modeler.
    I will take a look at that. Thanks!

Regards,
    Ray L.

Nate,

AlibreCAM handles fixtures plate only in the (much!) more expensive versions. The base version ($1250), is really crippled in terms of work positioning, among other things. It does not support multiple parts, and does not even allow you to shift the fixture offset - it's stuck where it is in the part design. I wrote my own post-post-processor that allows me output G-code for multi-part fixtures, and locate the parts any way I like, so the CAM neither knows nor cares that there is more than one part.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    My mistake. I didn't realize that there were different versions. Does HSMWorks or HSMXpress handle fixtures and multiple parts?

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Fine Line Automation

Yes, and if you already have Solidworks, there simply is no better option.

I would guess HSMXpress does not handle fixtures. HSMWorks might, but I haven't seen it yet.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I would guess HSMXpress does not handle fixtures. HSMWorks might, but I haven't seen it yet.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    HSMXpress fully supports programming in assemblies; it also has excellent support for patterning, so you can pattern multiple instances of a part or assembly, program from a single one, and have the programming automatically populate across all of the copies regardless of rotation.. etc. Its INCREDIBLY powerful for free software. The only major differences between HSMWorks and Xpress come from 3D toolpaths, solid verification, rotary support, and of course the large sum of money you have to fork over. If you use it enough, its worth it.

The full blow HSMworks allows assembly machining,fixtures,Collision detection, etc. When I do my job setups, Everything is in the assembly model. Table,Vise,Fixtures etc. I set up different "configurations" within the assembly that represent a particular process. The different configurations help me manage the processes quickly where only the relevant parts are visible for simulation. The only thing I have yet to do is set up for full machine simulation.

I was going to say, the only image on the HSM express features page is a part in a fixture, and I know you can run it in assemblies.

going to try and do some programming with fixtures tonight.

Inventor and HSMXpress are FREAKING AWESOME!! I cannot believe how good they are! An incredible amount of flexibility and power, and remarkably easy to use as well! You can indeed do the CAM on assemblies, which means you can include a model of your vise, clamps, and whatever else you want, and it will just deal with it. The toolpath generation is excellent, and setting everything up is remarkably intuitive. As an added bonus, the documentation is also quite good, and there appear to be extensive tutorials, though I haven't seen a need for them yet. This combination is really hard to beat for the money. I've gone ahead an purchased Inventor LT 2014 Suite for $1222 from Amazon, which includes both AutoCAD for 2D, Inventor for 3D, and a year of maintenance and support. IMHO, an fantastic value for the money.

My *only* gripe at this point is a minor one - the machining simulation does not actually do a graphical simulation of material removal, so what you see is the tools whizzing around the finished part. But, since I have CutViewer Mill, I can always run a final simulation with that. I do that anyway, since I always post-process the G-code after the CAM is done with it, to customize it to the specific machine it will be run on.

Regards,
    Ray L.

If you check the stock box under simulation, you shows stock being removed somewhat. I agree thought, it is a amazing combo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stock.png  
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    If you check the stock box under simulation, you shows stock being removed somewhat. I agree thought, it is a amazing combo.
    Yes, I just found that! What do the different colors in the machined areas mean? When I do an outside profile cut, the machined face ends up mostly green with gray stripes and splotches on it.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I don't think it does a real good job at showing the machined area so it shows material and part colors like you are seeing in places, but how can you complain at any of it for the price we paid for it :-)

I love the 2D adaptive to do roughing in 6061. 90% of this part was all done with adaptive roughing. It is not perfect, but it was my first real job with HSMworks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2590.jpg  
    Donald

I have been using the version within Solidworks for a couple months. So far I really like it. Takes a little bit to fully understand all the options. Thread milling options did not make a lot of sense but figured it out. Mainly been using this with my cnc router but have a Haas super mini shipping to us at work end of the month for our R&D work. Plan to make a lot more use of HSMXpress then.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
    I have been using the version within Solidworks for a couple months. So far I really like it. Takes a little bit to fully understand all the options. Thread milling options did not make a lot of sense but figured it out. Mainly been using this with my cnc router but have a Haas super mini shipping to us at work end of the month for our R&D work. Plan to make a lot more use of HSMXpress then.

Steve
    I haven't even found threadmilling yet. I did notice there didn't seem to be a threadmill tool type. How are they defined?

Regards,
    Ray L.

You can make your own form tool models and import them in although they really do not show the form in the simulation. Makes a nice visual when creating the tool path.

Steve

I've been telling people for 2 years that HSMXpress is such a powerful CAM program, with unrivaled integration and ease of use that its well worth paying for a basic solidworks seat. Inventor makes it even cheaper. Once you become familiar with it there really is no other option for 3D than HSMWorks, anything else is so painful and unpleasant.

As Rob said, the power of assemblies, patterns etc is one of their strong suits. Tool organization, lack of integrated speeds and feeds, and some minor toolpath things are its weakness.

Welcome to the footsteps of real CAD/CAM software. Should be interesting to see what Autodesk does in the next few years. They have all of Delcam to work with now as well.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Also, I know you love your HSS tools and full width cuts... but you should throw in a 3 flute carbide tool, increase depth, reduce step over and crank the feed way up. And use those 500 ipm feedrates for the linking moves.

You've now got more tools at your disposal!
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Page 21 of 73 1119202122233171