587,421 active members*
3,356 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Optimum BF20L CNC conversion using the Smooth Stepper
Page 20 of 31 10181920212230
    I'm curious here guys if my coolant pump works by pumping a large mass of coolant rather than a large operating pressure. My hose from the pump to the nozzels fitted on the machine has a 4mm ID, and so I'll pick up a 6mm or slightly larger hose tomorrow and see if the larger diameter will increase the flow as it doesn't appear to be as powerfull as I first thought before I extended the housing.........and hopefully all going well tomorrow I should be able to get a small video of the flood coolant operating during a run.
    Eoin

Coolant pumps are, generally, NOT high pressure. They are high flow. If you want an inexpensive high pressure pump, buy a shallow well pump, which will develop about 60 PSI, and can be bought for about $125.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yeah cheers for that Ray I kinda figured that it's like with weld fume extractors you can get them high volume extraction or high pressure extraction.
    Eoin

Well the coolant hose ID made an incredible difference, I changed the 6mm (¼inch) to 8mm (5/16inch) with respective tail fittings and I recorded a part being machined….but ha I couldn’t upload it all cause it’s over 5GB for a 34min recording…… ha didn’t realise that the video on the phone recorded HD…. so I trimmed 8sec off and uploaded that, and that’s still 16MB though, I’ll run off another part tomorrow and reduce the video quality settings….

I must now start the belt drive and for those of you who have the belt drive completed bet your not sorry when you hear the noise of my stock gears running...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhzGBc7XAfw]Flood Coolant - YouTube[/ame]
    Eoin

Sorry all just to correct my last post....I should have said that I changed from a 4mm ID to an 8mm ID coolant hose and fittings......

and here’s a question a bit off topic guy’s…..I can download a HD YouTube video @ 1.7MB per sec, but it took 1hr and 45mins to upload only 210MB of HD video, anyone venture a guess here???

As I’m not a machinist and only a humble Welder, and learned all this CNC hobby from you guy's and I’ve learned another lesson here with this little project, that one should always lower the feed rate when running a finishing pass…..i.e. when inputting your speeds and feeds into your chosen CAM software DON’T use the same feed rate that you use for the roughing pass like I did here, even though your depth of cut (DOC) is minimal …….and this is evident in the photo below as you can see quite clearly see the vertical cutting lines on the fins of the water coolant fan……

Flood Coolant - YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Fan.png  
    Eoin

I would venture a guess that your download speed was 1.7 mega bits per second, and not mega-bytes. 1.7 megabits per second is about 200 kilobytes per second or .2megabytes per second. At that rate, it would take about 15 minutes to transfer 210 Mbytes, but internet service generally has much faster download speed than upload speed. Also video uploaded to Youtube automatically gets converted which slows things down.

Also, your pump impeller looks fine. Don't sell yourself short as machining is something that doesn't come overnight. You have done a great job on your machine and the machining aspects will come over time. Machining is one of those things where you never really know everything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Sorry all just to correct my last post....I should have said that I changed from a 4mm ID to an 8mm ID coolant hose and fittings......

and here’s a question a bit off topic guy’s…..I can download a HD YouTube video @ 1.7MB per sec, but it took 1hr and 45mins to upload only 210MB of HD video, anyone venture a guess here???

As I’m not a machinist and only a humble Welder, and learned all this CNC hobby from you guy's and I’ve learned another lesson here with this little project, that one should always lower the feed rate when running a finishing pass…..i.e. when inputting your speeds and feeds into your chosen CAM software DON’T use the same feed rate that you use for the roughing pass like I did here, even though your depth of cut (DOC) is minimal …….and this is evident in the photo below as you can see quite clearly see the vertical cutting lines on the fins of the water coolant fan……

Flood Coolant - YouTube

Pretty is nice but they don't all have to be as long as it does the job for you.
    Practice makes perfect, good work.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Thanks for the kind words.......and the internet explanation
    Eoin

O
    Eoin

At last I have started on my belt drive conversion........ My lathe chuck is only a 4"so I had to remove some stock first
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-07-27 22.48.48.png   2012-07-27 22.49.24.jpg   2012-07-27 22.50.01.jpg   2012-07-27 22.50.36.jpg  

2012-07-27 22.51.05.jpg  
    Eoin

Today went well I managed to finish off the two pulley blanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-07-28 18.08.54.jpg   2012-07-28 18.11.15.png   2012-07-28 18.12.42.png   2012-07-28 18.11.44.jpg  

2012-07-28 18.13.15.png   2012-07-28 18.13.43.png  
    Eoin

Almost finished the motor/spindle head mounting plate......ordered my pulley belt this evening (L belt type) from SDP so hope to get it next week sometime......got a question too here guys slightly off CNC topic, what's the best paint for a workshop floor? and this is going on bare concrete too.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-08-01 22.53.18.png   2012-08-01 22.52.23.jpg   2012-08-01 22.55.56.jpg   2012-08-01 22.56.35.jpg  

Eoin

About the only paint that will hold up on a floor is a real solvent-based (NOT the newer water-based stuff) epoxy floor coating. This is neither cheap, nor easy to apply. Doing it properly requires doing a very thorough cleaning with soap, water, and a lot of scrubbing, followed by a good acid etching. Dry completely, then epoxy. Figure on AT LEAST $1/sq. ft. total cost. If the concrete does not have a decent vapor barrier under it, the coating may still lift off over time.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yeah I guessed it wouldn't be easy but I figured I'd only paint from the Mill and Lathe .to the wall, not the whole shop floor...geez tis too big and way over my budget

Cheers for that Ray
    Eoin

Here's a suggestion for your secondary filter on your coolant systems me I'm using a coffee perculater filter........
    DIY CNC Flood Coolant Filtration - YouTube
    Eoin

Great idea on the filter...I actually have on in stock so I will copy that idea for sure.

Epoxy floor paint
    Epoxy coat has some great reviews but is pricey.
    Not sure what big box hardware stores you have but I used Rustoleum epoxy oil base on mine and am really happy with it. One gallon kit was around $100 US.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Great idea on the filter...I actually have on in stock so I will copy that idea for sure.

Epoxy floor paint
    Epoxy coat has some great reviews but is pricey.
    Not sure what big box hardware stores you have but I used Rustoleum epoxy oil base on mine and am really happy with it. One gallon kit was around $100 US.
    Many thanks for the reply and I'm really sorry to hear of your dad passing, I know ye were close, and good friends, my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family at this time.....
    Eoin

This is a great link to a decent video of Chris from the geek group applying epoxy. I'm planning the same when my workshop is finished.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OYsOHIKNVE&feature=plcp]How to Paint Your Floor With EpoxyShield - YouTube[/ame]

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Many thanks for the reply and I'm really sorry to hear of your dad passing, I know ye were close, and good friends, my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family at this time.....
    Thanks. You have been a great online friend. I'm still jealous of the great progression you have made on your build! (wedge)

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    This is a great link to a decent video of Chris from the geek group applying epoxy. I'm planning the same when my workshop is finished.

How to Paint Your Floor With EpoxyShield - YouTube

cheers,
    Ian
    Yep that's the stuff!
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Page 20 of 31 10181920212230