587,189 active members*
2,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Here are the pictures of the driver, I don't see any visible damage, but I do have a guess on what happened. When this whole thing started, I opened up the back and found a copper standoff stud laying in the bottom of the case. Now that I've removed and dismantled this driver, I found that the stud was at one time mounted at the top of the driver box, so I think that vibration may have loosened the stud, it fell through the back end of the driver hitting who knows what on it's way down.

I've attached pictures of the outside casing and the internals, if anyone has any idea on what I should test/replace. I have a full toolbox and testing bench to perform almost any job with.

If we can get this figured out, I'm going to convince my boss he needs to make a donation to this site

Update: I've just searched everywhere I can for this part, but I'm not having any luck at all, the laser MFG is no help either. I found the part on a number of chinese sites, including it's manufacturer, but no e-mail addresses only phone numbers. So if I can't repair this one, I have no idea what to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-12-29 11.00.49.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	96317

Name:	2009-12-29 11.01.01.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	96318

Name:	2009-12-29 11.02.05.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	96319

Name:	2009-12-29 11.09.01.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	96320

Name:	2009-12-29 11.09.13.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	96321

Name:	2009-12-29 11.10.01.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	96322

Ron,

You have several options.

1: The simplest would be to order a new driver from the laser company.

2: Retrofit the machine with locally available stepper drives and stepper motors.

3: Send me the machine and a check, I will repair it.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Ron,

You have several options.

1: The simplest would be to order a new driver from the laser company.

2: Retrofit the machine with locally available stepper drives and stepper motors.

3: Send me the machine and a check, I will repair it.

Jeff...

Jeff,
    I'm still trying to source the part, I believe retrofit might be beyond my abilities, and option 3 isn't very feasible since it weighs about 700lbs. I didn't mention in any of my previous posts, this is a full size machine with a 30" wide bed. Which is probably why it's using 3 phase units.
    Any other suggestions? Please?

Ron,

I understand shipping is not very easy, a plane ticket might be better.

Jeff....
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Well you know the make/model (Syntron SH-30806H) of the driver, so the manufacturer may be able to help http://www.hollysys-electric.com/122/[email protected] or at least their site has the specs / manual.

There are several US based repair centers for Syntron, so you should be able to get the board exchanged or at least repaired.

An alternative would be to replace it with a compatible product, this may not be suitable as it's step/direction input, but it may provide another source for replacement:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380134131074

Zax.

Ron,

If the power supply voltage is over 50 volts there will be a problem with the eBay drive "Leadshine" it is only rated at 50 volts.

The SH-30806H has a 70 volt capacity, you may want to measure the power supply voltage before proceeding.

Jeff...

How about look for "cold" soldering ot "broke" soldering in the PCBs on machine?

Zax, Thanks for the link, I scoured ebay, but I was at a loss as to what to search for, I even browsed through just "step* driver" but I didn't spot that one, it "looks" identical, and I see I'll have to check the output voltage of the unit. The only other issue I could think of is since I can't read chinese well, I'm going to have to figure out the wiring. Also this current driver is set to 3200 steps, 6amp and some other thing I can't read.
    I contacted a company that said they fix these boards, so hopefully it costs less than $110.
    Thank you everyone for your help, hopefully I don't run into any more problems once I get this one replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by nobacoutinho View Post
    How about look for "cold" soldering ot "broke" soldering in the PCBs on machine?
    I looked over the board, definately no ROHS here, every bit of it is obvious lead solder and no cold joints at all. It looks immaculate actually, never seen a PCB look so good.

Page 2 of 2 12