587,481 active members*
3,221 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 1987 Fadal 4020 Scale Error
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: 1987 Fadal 4020 Scale Error

Jon I duplicated your error on one of my older Fadals (No Scales) and attaching Photos . from the Enter Next Command type DI enter and then DS enter it will bring up the Display Switches screen ( if you want to exit this screen just type X enter)

in the first photo left hand column the SPARE-2 should be 00 if it shows 01(that indicates Scale Error) and either on that line is a short or the card where it plugs into the mother board has a poor connection Card slot #17

Notice in picture 2 i Jumper the Pin on plug J13 i6..... with a screw driver and on the display i get on SPARE-2 a 01

And in photo 4 after jumping the pin on the screen i get the Scale Error Message Emergency stop.

from everything you have said it may be the Card Slot Plug connector. does that card come out particularly easy?

Good luck Jon

Added picture Five so you can have a view of the back of the MB and see the track to the card slot Bonus Picture lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scale err  1.jpg   scale err 2.jpg   scale err 3.jpg   scale err 4.jpg  

MB back.jpg  

Rodney,

Fantastic! You are the man!

For the past two days, the 4020 has powered up without incident - with the ambient temperature now <80F in the morning. After being shut down at the end of the day, it will still power up without the SCALE error.

That picture of the back of the motherboard is invaluable! Thanks for taking the time to take a picture of it, as well as the others.

On the 4020 motherboard here, the J13 pins on the left side looking at the rear of the board, or those adjacent to I17, I16, I5 & I6 looking into the card cabinet, are all tied together and appear to be grounds. I'll see if I can get any pictures using a mirror to verify the board traces match your picture.

Do you sell parts for these older machines? This 4020 holds ~ 0.0008" circularity as measured by a ball bar. It is a great machine, but the controller is very slow.

Thanks again for you time and effort.

Jon

Jon,

Your welcome. Glad to Help.

I dont sell parts. We manufacture Rotary tables 5c heads up to 15 inch. Index Designs CNC Rotary Table USA California Chatsworth and commonly installed on Fadals. Similar to the Fadal VH65.... but better

But if you need parts i would go to Itscnc.com they got pretty much everything. Call Dan.

You may know this already but FADAL is an Acronym from the names of the original owners.

Francis
    Adrian
    Dave
    And
    Larry (Larry is my Father)

So i guess that makes me pro Fadal lol (Toot Toot)

Fadals are very easy to fix both mechanically (probably easier) and electronically.

It looks like your running a -2 system second generation but if you can find a good working -4 or -5 the machine would be much faster.

And if you need a USB interface for your fadal call Glenn (my brother) at Calmotion.com

Page 2 of 2 12