587,833 active members*
4,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Newb still not getting it.
Page 2 of 2 12
    I think I would drill the holes before I cut the part from the stock. That will save you having to build a fixture to hold the part to drill the holes. As for cutting the shape it is all 2D geo and very simple to cut, just add a few lines to close the pocket and your there.
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

One of the mistakes the new guys make is thinking they are stuck with the file they are given. What your MC file looks like makes no differance to the finished part. I was taught to lie, cheat and steal when I was learning to program. What I mean is you can change the file around any way you like as long as the part is right at the end of the day. So free up your mind and think about the best way to make the part and then create the geo you need to make it that way. Good luck
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

I always cut from the file as in most cases every thing you need is there.
    I might make stock and a few other things but I know 99% percent of the time I don't cheat the geo. I want the 3d solid model I will program it.I am used to making little complex parts. this way I can lay it out. PS I need the stock size you are using.
    I will cut it and leave tabs you can pop the part off at the end.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thanks Guys!

What dialog is the "leave Tabs" in? not sure about that bit still, but my countermeasure thus far was to extend the lead out to cut off the part.

I'm at least "over the hump" and have all the basics working now. Still some stuff I don't totally get, but mostly have it all going. I also need to edit the post processor so I don't have to edit out stuff... thats the next project.

Here's a picture of the final parts. Its a working model aircraft suspension. All but the drag links are made manually (don't have CNC on my lathe - yet!)

Thanks for all the help and advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0946.JPG  

Thanks for sharing the picture. that is cool.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Page 2 of 2 12