587,584 active members*
3,644 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Hafco 12x36 CNC conversion

Yep the mill is still running the Mach3 it came with and I've run into no dramas with it yet in almost 6 years. To be honest the whole mill is the same, I've updated the spindle drive and a couple of limit switches and that's the total problems for the same time. I would have bought a Tormach lathe but it doesn't suit the type of work I want it for, I really need a conventional longer bed lathe with a tailstock.

In the 10 years since I CNC'ed my little mini lathe, I can only remember one part with a coumpound curve which needed CAM software (I used some free software to convert the DXF Spline to a contour and cleaned up the code in EXCEL.

In Excel I also wrote a couple of widgets to generate simple conical tool path Code, but otherwise did everything in the MDI using canned cycles or one line codes. For most one off work drawing the part in CAM and then generating and verifying code seemed like it would be a waste of time. Especially while I was on TurboCNC, and couldn't use a preset tool register.

Have you installed a cross slide home switch? This is the most useful switch, as, combined with preset tool register it means you always have your diameter.
    Regards,
    Mark

I used a fairly new larger machine for a while and did all the programming on the controller, it had quite a nice conversational controller but didn't really do a lot more than the Mach wizards do. The x limits are the next job once I get the control box wired up, hopefully tomorrow. I had the cable carriers arrive today so I think now I'll mount the x limit switch on the rear of the saddle with a couple of ramp type stops on the cross slide that run up the roller on the switch. That way I can run the wires and join them to the rear z limit switch since I'm wiring them all on the same input and keep the moving wiring away from chips and the like.

How did you find the repeatability of the QCTP? I have one on my Colchester and it's good, this one looks like a clone of that so I'm hoping for similar repeatability.

I have a Phase II wedge type AXA and it was by far the most repeatable part of my lathe (underwhelming praise, as it was bolted to a 7x mini ) Realistically they repeat in hundredth milimeter range. I picked it up on a business trip to the states, and also bought a bunch of even cheaper tool holders from Shars, and all work great. In my experience it is better to buy a cheaper QCTP and a load of holders, than to have the perfect tool post but have to swap cutting tools between holders.

I have ground bearing seats using thin cut off discs in my Proxxon handgrinder mounted in a QCTP Tool holder, and removing and replacing the tool holder made no difference to the sparking (depth of cut).

Dumping the compound for a solid riser block is a big improvement in rigidity.

Are you going to build an enclosure?
    Regards,
    Mark

I'll be ditching the compound now after reading how to chase threads using Mach, it seems fairly simple to do. I also came across the auto toolposts on salecnc.com from China for $690 which might be worth some more investigation, It looks the same as the ones that microkinetics use:

Maybe that plus a QCTP on the rear might be worth a look?

As for an enclosure, I want something that seals up the chuck area well but leaves the tail end of the lathe open. Maybe something that lifts up on gas struts or rolls back out of the way might be the go.

Have you ever used a four way tool post for any length of time? I tried out the one which came with the 7x Mini and found it to be pretty unusable. Considering you have a Tormach, wouldn't it be better just to crank it up and make a turret?
    Regards,
    Mark

Yep, you're probably right, just me being lazy. New plan is get it running with the QCTP then make a turret.

I got the electrical enclosure just about sorted this morning, now I just need to work out how and where to mount it and fit some plugs/cable glands to run the wires out.

Quote Originally Posted by proengines View Post
    I'll be ditching the compound now after reading how to chase threads using Mach, it seems fairly simple to do. I also came across the auto toolposts on salecnc.com from China for $690 which might be worth some more investigation, It looks the same as the ones that microkinetics use:

Maybe that plus a QCTP on the rear might be worth a look?

As for an enclosure, I want something that seals up the chuck area well but leaves the tail end of the lathe open. Maybe something that lifts up on gas struts or rolls back out of the way might be the go.
    690 for that? Overpriced. A lot of that type have a problem where certain tools will interfere (hit) the motor.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Work has got in the way of getting this machine finished off so it's looking like it'll be the new year before I get back into it. I have done some organising to get a decent coolant tray/splash guarding folded up in the meantime and it's looking like a flip up guard around half the length of the bed on a gas strut might be the go. I do have all the wiring hooked up out of the enclosure and some cable carriers sitting here to attach once I get it all apart. I'll post up some photos when I get the chance.

Nice work, I am in the midst of acquiring parts for my Enco lathe which is real similar to what you have here. Keep up the good work!!!

Page 2 of 2 12