587,515 active members*
2,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Cleaning is what I hate the most

It's not that I didn't know that there would be cleaning and maintenance involved in owning my 770 mill. I fully expected it but, it's the fact that cleaning my mill after I used it actually added to the wear and tear of the machine rather than mitigating some of the wear and tear.

There are always metal shavings left behind no matter how well you hose it, vacuum it or wipe it down. Those metal shaving are razor sharp so any time you inadvertently grind them into the finish while wiping down your mill you're scraping microscopic layers of paint off your work area. Particularly on the left hand side directly under the electrical conduit that slides back and forth as your mill-table moves around.

I've owned my mill just a little over a year and that electrical conduit has ground those razor sharp metal shavings so far down into the paint that in some areas it's down to the metal already.

Only recently did I take steps to eliminate having to stress over the premature wear of the painted areas that get showered with metal shavings.

Being an auto upholsterer by trade, I took some scrap vinyl and stitched it to form-fit inside the wells, on the table, the bellows and the door that covers the electrical.

On vertical surfaces this vinyl was held in place with magnets. On the rest of the horizontal surfaces it was just loose-laid flat.

When I saw how well it worked I went out and bought some "Pond-Liner" rubber sheet at the Home-Depot and replaced all the vinyl I'd originally stitched together. The rubber sheet can be taken out and hosed off outdoors which means minimal clean up on the surfaces of my mill where I once had a plethora of razor sharp metal shavings to deal with.

The remaining finish on my mill remains untouched except to wipe clean with a damp cloth; no more metal shavings to add to the wear and tear of my machine.

I have a piece of rubber sheet that's cut to fit the tubs on both sides, one for the table that hugs my vice so I don't have to scrape the channels in the table, One that hugs my 4th axis, the bellows and the electrical-panel-door. The vast majority of the shavings that are produced get washed down into my screen/filter. The shavings that hit the rubber mat stay there until I remove the mats and wash them down over a collection can out back.

About forty-bucks worth of "Pond-Liner" has cut my clean up time by more than half and my machine stays in good shape.

MetalShavings

Interesting. Pics?

I am going to order one of these vortex separators to put in front of my shop vac.

http://tinyurl.com/mzvpmkm

Appears to have all the advantages of a Dyson for the shop for about $40.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    I am going to order one of these vortex separators to put in front of my shop vac.

Dust Deputy® DIY - Cyclone Only | Oneida Air

Appears to have all the advantages of a Dyson for the shop for about $40.

Don
    Please let us know how that works out. I spent 30+ minutes removing a plug the hose in my Fein shop vac last weekend and would like to avoid the problem in future.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Please let us know how that works out. I spent 30+ minutes removing a plug the hose in my Fein shop vac last weekend and would like to avoid the problem in future.

Mike
    I ordered the Dust Deputy today. It was $51 with UPS shipping. Let y'all know how it works out after it comes.

BTW I cut my shop vac 2.5" diameter hose length in half and use a PVC coupler to mate the two hose halves together. This way if long stringy chips clog the hose; it is easy to unhook the two hose halves and clean out each hose section with a broom handle.

Don

Anyone tried the bucket of water trick for their Vac? If sucking up small items, I hear it works pretty well, haven't done it myself yet but plan to for my KMG Grinder setup.

Think "water bong"

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Think "water bong"
    Now I understand your way of thinking...You might want to put the Bong down...

Anyone tried the bucket of water trick for their Vac? If sucking up small items, I hear it works pretty well, haven't done it myself yet but plan to for my KMG Grinder setup.

Think "water bong"
    M-code 420

Don

Hilarious

Seems the childish immature people aren't the "kids"

Now I understand your way of thinking...You might want to put the Bong down...

Hilarious

Seems the childish immature people aren't the "kids"
    Silly Rabbit trix are not just for kids...

You need a serious mental evaluation...

That reminds me, my coolant screen ended up pushing through, so I pulled the bucket out and fixed it up. I had some large mesh screen laying around to put under the thin screen.

Looks exactally like what we did on our 2

Hey Tooth, how's business? Have a 3rd Tormach yet?

Hey Tooth, how's business? Have a 3rd Tormach yet?
    HA HA, not yet, we have talked a little bit about it, but probably go with an ATC first. many times we could use a 3rd spindle running. But then we'd need to add another employee, we're about maxed out with what the 5 of us can do now.

Page 2 of 2 12