587,760 active members*
2,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234

Hybrid View

The round rails dont really care if the pillow block wants to rotate. But the square ones do. So the round rails are easier to mount in my opinion. Thats all I can think of but im sure the pros here can give you a larger pro and con list.

I am going to post this elsewhere. but how do you make sure your table is completly square? I can lay the pieces on the ground and use a square and measure corner to corner to get them pretty good, but since no concrete slab is perfectly flat, how do you make sure your table top is actually truly flat. If it isnt then your gantry wont slide right, or it will change height as it moves...

while we build it its about 1/32 square by measuring all corners again and again and straight and everything then used drafts level thing (not too sure what it is called(im sure erik will chime in and tell u what its called)(you could use laser eye level))

so the metal is all welded square and level perfectly then we will have leveling feet using that trailer ball thingy we mentioned above.. then use a regular level to make it level on wherever the machine will be located

hope that helps

yeah i see how the trailer balls will make it level, but only if the the actuall top is flat. I am worried about one corner being higher or lower than the others. Once it is welded, there is not way to adjust for that

Quote Originally Posted by jeepn4life
    yeah i see how the trailer balls will make it level, but only if the the actuall top is flat. I am worried about one corner being higher or lower than the others. Once it is welded, there is not way to adjust for that
    Shims, THC, design for fine tuning.

The only way to get your whole table to .001 is to do it this way or get everything machined (holy $$$). Besides a plasma cutter only cuts to a certain accuracy. Design for 1/32 and you should be okay i think.

yup.. thats why we used draftsman level or u could use laser rotary level to make it perfect level height.. and then square all corners too.. i used shims to level the whole thing.. then square and measured about 3 hours of measuring and leveling.. then finally welding

ok found out the word for it its survey level.. i should have thought of that first but didnt think it was right.. heres sample what we used http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AUTOMATIC-AU...QQcmdZViewItem

or u could use those type.. (the one im posting here is cheap crappy quality... but you can get better one.. http://cgi.ebay.com/360-LASER-ROTARY...QQcmdZViewItem

just to give u some ideas to make it perfectly level and measure tape with square for all corners take ur time for that..

we got the gantry machined now and here is some pics..

we used glue from locite hs8000 i beleive thats the name for it.. to bond the cap and the plate that is connected to vertical 6x6 but we added holes for bolt n nut to be safe

fire away any questions you have
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gantry1.jpg   gantry2.jpg   gantry3.jpg   gantry4.jpg  

gantry6.jpg  

we got those shaft support made and I can get them more paid 8 dollars each

let me know if u are interested i could get them made for you guys too.. i will be getting image with that thing on a shaft so you can get better idea what it is..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shaft.jpg  

more images of those rail mounted.. im very happy with it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rail2.jpg   rail3.jpg   rail4.jpg   rail5.jpg  

rail.jpg  

Very nice table.

If that is 1 1/2 in. shaft, I would be interested in those supports. Also, what method did you use to drill the mounting holes in the rod?

-Aaron

yes i can make it for 1 1/2 inch shaft.. and to drill the holes i got those pre drilled from my local bearing supply.. but they took it to machine shop and drill n tap it for me.. so im sure some local machine shop can do that for ya..

i have them spaced every 8 inch apart..

thread size is 1/4 inch 20 tpi

email me if u want the shaft mount

Quote Originally Posted by DanOSB
    yes i can make it for 1 1/2 inch shaft.. and to drill the holes i got those pre drilled from my local bearing supply.. but they took it to machine shop and drill n tap it for me.. so im sure some local machine shop can do that for ya..

i have them spaced every 8 inch apart..

thread size is 1/4 inch 20 tpi

email me if u want the shaft mount

Also we can get em anodized as well. We got ours done in black (we have more pics if you want to see em).

Sounds good, I'll send an e-mail for the details.

got our email? not sure if it went thru or not..

let me know

hey guys did you get your rack and pinion locally or send out for it , seems a bit@h of a time finding anything around here , ive just settled on some acme threaded rod that i found at fastenal , after countly hours searching turns out they were 5 minutes from my houses, i'm just experimenting with a small router table right now , but who knows what i will be up to next , rack and pinion is what i wanted when i started into this

well i was going to order my rack and pinion from bc bearing.. they have them.. but i doubt they have them in stock tho.. or from mcmaster.com

we are changing our route from gear rack and pinion to timing belt and we are ordering last few parts soon and the electronics is almost ready from mike from this board here..

more updated images at www.ubcustom.com/cnc

i painted the table today and it looks alot better and cleaner compared to that primer paint it had before.. too bad no digital camera as mine is at the shop erik (energyforce) is very currious what it looks like (he lives 2 hours from me right now)

that is sweet !

Page 2 of 4 1234